Community Board 6’s transportation committee gave the 18-block cyclist strip two thumbs up on Feb. 20

Bond issue: City wants bike lane for Bond Street in Boerum Hill

A city plan to paint an 18-block-long bike lane along Bond Street in Boerum Hill got the thumbs up from members of a local panel last week.

The new lane will carve out much-needed space for two-wheelers and make the road safer in the process, city reps said at a community board meeting on the proposal on Feb. 20.

“This will increase awareness of the presence of cyclists,” transportation department rep Craig Baerwald told Community Board 6’s transportation committee, which gave the proposal its stamp of approval after just eight minutes of presentation.

The route has logged 31 crashes that injured cyclists since 1995, according to data compiled by the group Transportation Alternatives.

The proposed path is five feet wide and bikers-only except between Third and Douglass streets and between Wyckoff and Schermerhorn streets, where it morphs into a shared lane for cars and bike riders.

The Downtown-bound route will improve access to Brooklyn’s office core as well as the Manhattan and Brooklyn bridges, according to a city spokesman.

But the effort will be moot if cops do not stay vigilant in keeping drivers where they belong, one road safety activist opined.

“Once the bike lane is installed, enforcement will be crucial,” said Keegan Stephan with the group Right of Way. “There is an epidemic of cars parking in bike lanes and not being ticketed in this city, and especially in this neighborhood, creating dangerous interactions between various road users.”

The full community board will vote on the proposal at the next general board meeting on March 12.

Reach reporter Megan Riesz at mriesz@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4505. Follow her on Twitter @meganriesz.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

WaitaSec from Downtown says:
So, I guess this means that biking on Clinton, Smith and Hoyt Streets are to be disallowed & discouraged on favor of Bond St. -- as this dedicated lane would be safer? or is this another land grab by the Bike lobby (TA) A's washed through it's DOT and CB reps?
Feb. 24, 10:26 am
WaitedASec says:
Bond St has seen an increase in auto traffic, lines painted on asphalt will alert drivers that cyclists are present. This is a welcome move for the many cyclists that already use the Bond St route.
Feb. 24, 1:45 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
First of all, I would like to hear Transportation Alternatives give the causes for those injuries involving cyclists, and I won't be surprised if that involves them flouting traffic laws hence placing themselves into harm's way. I wonder if Keegan Stephan agrees on stepping up on enforcement for cyclists that don't follow the traffic laws, but knowing him, he probably won't and turn a blind eye to that. Seriously, I can never understand the need for more bike lanes when so many of the ones that already exist hardly ever go used. Some of that money used for bike lanes could go to fixing up potholes that have been there for a while and are long overdue for being filled.
Feb. 24, 4:03 pm
Peter Engel from Fort Greene says:
Tal Tal go away Send your bots another way
Feb. 24, 5:14 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
If you don't like what I am saying then simply don't read it like a grown adult rather than make such personal attacks like a little kid, who I think your last name should be changed to Pan due to that, because it's not like anyone is forcing you to do that.
Feb. 24, 7:28 pm
Keegan from NYC says:
Tal, I do not know you, and you definitely do not know me.

Bike lanes allow for all road users to know who is flouting the law. When and where they are implemented, we can better document the causes of crashes and then implement data-driven enforcement, so I am not sure why you are opposed to them.

The other half of my quote discussed the need for this bike lane because of how super-saturated all the parallel bike lanes are, which has been documented with first hand evidence and third party data-gathering ad nauseam. Of course your assumptions based on your unique perspective from Pleasantville trump all.
Feb. 25, 1:03 am
Guest from Park Slope says:
Street safety modifications are always welcome.
Feb. 25, 1:09 am
Tyson White from UWS says:
Tal from Pleasantville: Perhaps we should do away with the car lanes because drivers are flouting the law. The number of cars speeding is staggering (one DOT study found 77% of cars speeding in several school zones). Motorists fail to yield to peds on the regular, make illegal and dangerous u-turns, use cellphones at an alarming rate, speed up to yellow lights and get through them only after they are red, and obstruct the path of ambulances. The above results in an annual death toll of hundreds, plus thousands who are seriously injured.

The public space on our streets is now divided 75% to cars, 25% other uses. Allocating a portion back isn't a terrible thing, but it's still hard to explain the need for bike lanes to people who see the world through the windshields of an SUV.
Feb. 25, 8:08 am
Samantha Davis from P Slope says:
Yup, Tyson! And the city shouldn't be wasting money on filling naturally occurring speed bumps that drivers call potholes.
Feb. 25, 10:56 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
First of all, some of you need to take some decaff especially if you posting at one o'clock in the morning, while the rest of you need to get some real jobs for posting during a work day. To answer Keegan, I along with so many others have seen numerous bike lanes popping all over, but hardly saw them used constantly, which is what makes them seen as a waste of money and space. If you were to place a camera, at certain intersections, you will see that it's the cyclists who are flouting the laws much more than any motorist does, not to mention how sporadically used are the bike lanes. Keep in mind that data can be fudged just to seem favorable to some groups, while others just might be paying someone to make it go in their favor, which is why I always find anything done by Transportation Alternatives, who is always known for having a bias for bicycles and against cars, happens to be suspicious. As for answering Tyson, who also doesn't live in Brooklyn, but nobody attacks him for where he lives, whatever you say about motorists flouting the law, I can easily say the same thing about cyclists doing the same by disobeying numerous lights and signs that place them into harm's way. Try looking at the causes if you want to hear the whole story of some of those accidents and you might just find that they weren't completely responsible for all of them. BTW, your claim on us motorists not understanding the need for bike lanes is very straw man if you asked me, and I can easily reverse your claim for why so on that, but I have already explained to Keegan, so I won't be repeating myself on that. On a side note, I find it very low to attack someone because of where they are from, and last time I checked, I didn't see anything here that reads locals only, plus I don't get attacked like this on the NY Times or anywhere else I am accepted nor do I drive an SUV in that matter either, so I will call for slander on some of this.
Feb. 25, 3:51 pm
Tyson White from UWS says:
Tal, I was born and raised in Brooklyn, and I frequent there at least every week to visit family or friends. I'm very pleased with the bike lanes because that's my primary mode of transport. Since the bike lanes have rolled out, bicycle commuting has double and keeps rising with each new lane. The bicycle lane network is far from complete, which is the reason many are still hesitant to commute by bike while motorists drive recklessly and threaten the lives of pedestrians and bicyclists. A minority of residents in Boerum Hill drive, yet the square footage of dedicated bicycle lanes throughout the entire city takes up under 1% of the road space, but that's too much for you? Perhaps if you stopped playing with your phone you would see that the lanes are indeed being used. The fact that bicycles don't take up 90 sq ft of road space like automobiles do might be the reason you are less aware of their presence.

P.S. Are you really comparing the severity of bicycle traffic violations to those of motorists?? Please!!
Feb. 25, 4:45 pm
Samanth Davis from Park Slope says:
Does your "real job" let you post at 3:51 pm?
Feb. 25, 4:47 pm
Jemina Johnson from Gowanus says:
Oh great, now —— cyclists (of all genders) can act all 'ferklempt' at the runners who already are on Bond St.

No big deal to add the lanes but 31 accidents in 18 year isn't a holocaust either and, generally, Transportation Alternatives is just as full as B.S. as the anti- this/that lobby.

Scorning BOTH is the REALLY smart alternative.
Feb. 25, 6:40 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Tyson, I don't support reckless drivers and I call them out constantly, which is way more than you on calling out rogue cyclists. I won't argue that cars kill more, but does that really make them always dangerous especially since you think that anyone who sits behind the wheel is always evil? If you tried looking at the causes, you might find out that they could have been following the traffic laws while whoever they hit may not have been. A cyclist or pedestrian flouting the traffic laws probably won't hurt others, but it does place them into harm's way. By such logic, Hamas must not be much of a terrorist group, because they kill far less than what the Israel Defense Force does, and this an example to show a group that uses only the effects while ignoring the causes, which involves them either placing their bases in densely populated areas or even using human shields for protection. As for bike lanes in where they are places, some of them have been placed where the streets actually got truncated and created more traffic in areas that didn't originally have them, and this was said by those who are always looking at them and liver near them as well. To answer Samantha, I usually finish around 3 PM, but I noticed you commenting around 11 AM, so I take it that you're allowed to do this while working, plus I don't have an iPhone. I do thank Jemina for understanding that group, not to mention them exploiting the families of children that were injured or killed in accidents just to promote their agenda.
Feb. 25, 6:58 pm
Rob from Greenpoint says:
Folks -- for those of you who don't know, Tal is a classic troll, known for frequenting the Brooklyn Paper and other websites.

He's not worth engaging.
Feb. 25, 8:52 pm
Peter Engel from Fort Greene says:
When it comes to Tal-bot, either ignore or take quick below-the-belt smacks like I do. Nothing else is worth the energy and effort.
Feb. 26, 11:43 am
A.S. from Boerum Hill says:
I live on Bond St. near Atlantic. Given how many cyclists use the street, I think adding a bike lane there is a great idea.
March 2, 3:20 pm