Mother and her two daughters slain in apparent Brownsville murder-suicide

Police outside the Van Dyke Houses on April 6 as an investigation into a murder-suicide there continues.
Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

Detectives in Brooklyn are looking to find out what led a 46-year-old man to shoot his female companion and her two daughters dead inside their apartment before taking his own life on Monday night.

Law enforcement sources said the massacre happened just before 11:22 pm on April 5 inside a fourth-floor apartment within the Van Dyke Houses at 362 Sutter Ave. in Brownsville.

Officers from the 73rd Precinct and NYPD PSA 2 made the horrific discovery while responding to a 911 call regarding shots fired at the location.

Upon entering the apartment, cops discovered the three victims — a 45-year-old woman and her two daughters, a teenager and a 20-year-old — each with gunshot wounds to their heads.

Responding EMS units pronounced all of them dead at the scene. Their identities have been withheld by police, pending family notification.

While responding to the murders, police then received a 911 call about a male shot in the area of Mother Gaston Boulevard and Sutter Avenue, right around the corner from the crime scene.

Authorities on the scene.Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

Officers then discovered the apparent suspect, a 46-year-old man, lying in a walkway just off of Mother Gaston Boulevard with a gunshot wound to his head. EMS units pronounced him dead at the scene. It is believed that he fatally shot her and her two daughters moments before turning the gun on himself. 

Police also believe that the man had another child with the 45-year-old victim — a 9-year-old girl who ended up calling authorities, PIX11 reported. The young girl was uninjured, and it is being reported that she is the half sister of the teenage and 20-year-old victims.

Cops also recovered a gun from inside the Sutter Avenue apartment where the three victims were found, and a firearm in the dead man’s possession.

At this point, detectives have not determined a motive for the bloodshed. The investigation remains ongoing.

This story first appeared on AMNY.com.