Quantcast
Fire at home for the mentally ill in Coney – Brooklyn Paper

Fire at home for the mentally ill in Coney

Hot and cold: Firefighters extinguish a blaze that started inside a rooftop air conditioning unit at the Surf Manor in Coney Island.
Photo by Steve Solomonson

New York’s Bravest had to contain a blaze atop the Surf Manor home for the mentally ill in Coney Island on Sept. 7.

A Fire Department spokeswoman said the fire started on the rear roof of the facility on Surf Avenue between W. 23rd and W. 24th streets at 11:33 am.

The smoke-eaters evacuated dozens of the institution’s residents, and extinguished the blaze by 11:57 am.

The FDNY said the fire started because of someone’s improperly discarded cigarette or cigar. The city reported no injuries.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him attwitter.com/WillBredderman.

More from Around New York