An underground fire erupted in a Bensonhurst manhole on Tuesday morning, seriously injuring two workers, according to authorities.
The contracted workers were upgrading a 12-inch National Grid gas main on Bay Ridge Parkway and 19th Avenue at around 10 am when a rupture in the pipe sparked the enferno, officials said.
More than 65 firefighters rushed to the scene, where they found the two workers with serious burns to their body, a Fire Department spokesman said.
First responders rushed the victims to Staten Island University Hospital Northwell Health Burn Care Center in stable condition for treatment, authorities say.
Smoke eaters quelled the blaze in about 45 minutes, but National Grid continued excavating the area for hours — shutting down the gas to six nearby properties, and disrupting service to about 25 customers.
Gas service was restored to all affected customers later that night, according to National Grid spokeswoman Karen Young, who said that an investigation into the incident remains ongoing.
“Safety is our top priority and we will conduct an incident analysis,” said Young.