Found dead on McDonald Avenue

Found dead on McDonald Ave.

The city’s Medical Examiner’s office is hoping to determine what killed a 50-year-old man found on McDonald Avenue.

Police said that the unnamed victim was discovered unconscious near Avenue I just after 2:15 a.m. on February 8.

He died at the scene as paramedics tried to render aid.

An autopsy was scheduled to be performed as this paper went to press.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is urged to come forward.

Calls can be made to the NYPD CrimeStoppers hotline at (800) 577-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.

Craigslist con busted

The search for a quick profit led to some time in the pen last week when a thief who allegedly swiped a Bergen Beach motorist’s tires put the stolen merchandise on Craigslist, and ended up selling them back to his victim, police alleged.

Officials said that Joel Walton, 21, was taken into custody on February 4 after a meet-up with his potential customer…and the police.

The victim alerted cops to the scam just a day after someone swiped the tires and rims to his 2008 Infiniti left on East 71st Street during the early morning hours of February 3.

The disgruntled owner said that he logged onto Craigslist to buy a new set of wheels, and in his search came across his old tires, which Walton was selling.

The victim called police, who joined Walton when he went to East New York to purchase the wheels from Walton. The suspect was taken into custody without incident.

Handguns on Kings Highway

Two men were shot following an argument on Kings Highway near East 47th Street last week, officials said.

Officials said that they responded to the shooting at 9:33 p.m. on February 1.

When they arrived at the scene, they found two men suffering from gunshot wounds.

One of the men, 20, had been shot in the leg and abdomen, officials said. The second man, 23, was shot in the leg.

Witnesses said that two to three black males were responsible for the shooting. It was unclear what sparked the gunfire as this paper went to press.

Cops are asking anyone with information regarding this incident to come forward.

Calls can be made to the 63rd Precinct at (718) 258-4411. All call will be kept confidential.

Futile struggle

When a 23-year-old was confronted by just one thief, he probably thought he had a fighting chance.

He couldn’t have known that the thief had three friends standing by to jump in.

Cops from the 61st Precinct are now looking for four suspects in last week’s attempted robbery on Quentin Road near East 27th Street.

The victim said that he was walking down Quentin Road at 6:30 p.m. on February 4 when one of the four suspects ran up to him and punched him in the back of the head.

The thief then demanded his cell phone, but the victim wasn’t about to give it up without a fight.

A struggle ensued, but the one-on-one confrontation got pretty crowded when the mugger’s three friends jumped in.

The thieves beat the victim, but ran off empty-handed, cops said. Paramedics treated the victim at the scene.

Cops are asking anyone with information regarding this incident to come forward.

Calls can be made to the 61st Precinct at (718) 627-6611. All calls will be kept confidential.

Talk about punchy!

A 23-year-old was cooling his mitts behind bars after he allegedly punched out a man inside a Midwood apartment — and then socked the paramedic trying to render aid to his victim.

Officials allege that Joshua Sherman was arguing with his victim inside an East 12th Street address near Avenue N at 10 p.m. on February 3 when he attacked.

He reportedly punched him in the face, knocking him to the ground.

He then lunged on top of the victim, punching in the face repeatedly while he was on the ground, police alleged.

The victim managed to get outside and call police, but when paramedics showed up and began rendering aid, the 23-year-old pugilist attacked one of them, striking in the face twice, prosecutors allege.

Cops took Sherman into custody, charging him with multiple counts of assault in the second and third degrees, as well as menacing and harassment.


Thieves broke into the Kim Gift Shop, a 99-cent store on Avenue U near East 18th Street.

But the thieves didn’t just get away with just a few coins, employees said, claiming that $200 in receipts was taken from the register during the heist, which took place sometime after the store closed at 8 p.m. on February 4.

The thieves reportedly entered the store by forcing open a rear door, damaging it in the process, police were told.

High stakes crime

Police are looking for the thief who swiped $6,000 in cash and an assortment of pricey jewelry from an East 65th Street home last week.

The 69-year-old homeowner told police that someone forced open the rear window to her home near Strickland Avenue sometime after 5:30 p.m. on January 31 — breaking the window in the process.

The thief ransacked the home, taking the cash and jewels, before the victim returned home, cops were told.

Hitting the reset button

Two teenage thieves threatened another teen into giving over his cell phone, but quickly gave the phone back to him when they realized they were being observed.

But the reboot did little to dissuade cops from putting them in a jail cell.

The 14-year-old victim told police that he was on Flatlands Avenue between Ryder Avenue and East 38th Street just before 4 p.m. on January 28 when the two teenage thieves approached and threatened him.

They reportedly scared the teen to the point that he handed his phone over, but soon gave it back when they realized that someone was watching.

The witness ultimately called police, who took the unnamed suspects into custody without incident.

Pizza purloiner sought

A crew of thieves broke into Pronto Pizza, 2928 Avenue R, taking $2500 in receipts and the eatery’s computer.

Police were told that someone forced open the back door of the eatery with a crow bar sometime between 10 p.m. on January 31.

The theft wasn’t discovered until the next morning, cops were told.

Phone snag on Ralph

A young woman was punched in the face and robbed of her cell phone as she walked by the corner of Flatlands and Ralph avenues last week.

The victim, 18, said that she was nearing the corner at 6 p.m. on February 2 when an unidentified black male ran up to her.

After hitting her, the thief swiped the phone from her hand and ran off.

He remained at large as this paper went to press.

Nabbed for robbery

Cops have arrested one of two thieves responsible for a hold up on Flatlands Avenue and Avenue L.

Prosecutors said that the two teenage thieves approached two other teens at the corner at 9 p.m. on January 26 and yanked off one of the victims’ jackets.

The teen reportedly went through the jacket pockets, claiming that if he didn’t find anything of value he was going to kill the victim.

The duo then pulled a knife on the victims, running off with an iPhone.

Cops caught up with one of the suspects — a 15-year-old juvenile — earlier this week and was charged with two counts of robbery in the first degree, grand larceny, menacing and criminal possession of a weapon.

His accomplice was still at large as this paper went to press.

More from Around New York