Once you’ve foraged all the wild carrots you can carry out of Marine Park, here’s a simple, flavorful soup “Wildman” Steve Brill says you can whip up in minutes:
Cream Wild Carrot Soup
• 4-1/2 cups soy-rice milk, oat milk, or nut milk
• 3/4 cup vegan cheddar cheese, coarsely diced
• 3 cloves of garlic
• 3 tbs. mellow miso (available in health food stores)
• 3 tbs. lecithin granules (available in health food stores)
• 3 tbs. olive oil
• 1/2 tbs. sweet paprika
• 3/4 tsp. lemon thyme or thyme
• 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, ground
•1/2 tsp. black pepper, ground
• 1/2 tsp. dill seeds
• 3 cups wild or commercial carrots, coarsely chopped
• Purée 3 cups of the soy-rice milk and all other ingredients except the carrots in a blender.
• Pour half the purée; into a saucepan, add the carrots and remaining soy-rice milk to the blender, and chop briefly on low speed, until the carrots are finely chopped.
• Add this to the saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
— Thomas Tracy
Reach reporter Thomas Tracy at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (718) 260-2525.