How to report neglected landmarks

Rise up — before they fall down.

This city may sue a Brooklyn landlord for neglecting a historic building. Owners of landmarked buildings normally cannot demolish them, but some allow the buildings to decay to the point where demolition is the only option.

The Landmarks Preservation Commission relies on from reports by the public and other city agencies to find out about landmarks endangered by neglect, according to a commission spokeswoman.

So, if you’re tired of watching Kings County’s regal relics crumble, you can report a neglected landmark to the commission. The commission is currently mediating 30 cases of potential demolition by neglect — though most will not go to court, a spokeswoman said.

A landmark could become a case of demolition by neglect if the building:

• is vacant for a long time.

• has fire or water damage.

• the windows are always open.

• shows cracks in the façade.

• is marked with a red square by the Fire Department.

If you believe a landmark is falling into disrepair, you can call the Landmarks Preservation Commission’s enforcement department at (212) 669–7951, or contact Deputy Counsel John Weiss at 212-669-7921 or jweiss@lpc.nyc.gov.

Reach reporter Max Jaeger at mjaeg‌er@cn‌gloca‌l.com or by calling (718) 260–8303. Follow him on Twitter @JustTheMax.

More from Around New York