Steven Cymbrowitz vs. Ben Akselrod
What was first considered a gentleman’s campaign has been anything but. Akselrod has attacked the six-term legislator on a number of fronts, but Cymbrowitz refuses to bite back.
• Won the assembly seat in 2000 following the death of his wife, Assemblywoman Lena Cymbrowitz.
• Chair of the Environmental Conservation Committee’s Shoreline Protection Subcommittee.
• Age 58, married.
• Immigrated to the United States from Russia at the age of 18.
• Former Community Board 15 District Manager. Currently a manager at a nursing home.
• Age 39, married, five children.
• Akselrod accused Cymbrowtiz of being a debate dodger after the pol decided to attend a Russian movie event instead of discussing the issues with his challenger.
• Akselrod called out Cymbrowitz for not taking a side on the controversial Voorhies Avenue mosque, even though the house of worship is not in the legislator’s district.
• Cymbrowitz prides himself as “The only secular Jew in New York City who votes in favor of yeshivas and against immorality” — the “immorality” being gay marriage, which the legislator oppossed.
Reach reporter Colin MIxson at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (718) 260-4514.