Thinking about Edward R. Murrow for your kid? Read this story right now

Don’t miss our updates:

A Brooklyn high school founded as a bastion of student freedom has become one of the borough’s most strict, thanks to a principal with a penchant for punishment who’s not afraid to reward misbehaving students with unscheduled vacations.

Officials at Edward R. Murrow HS in Midwood doled out 357 suspensions last year — the second-most in the borough — a surprise for a school founded with an “emphasis on freedom,” as Saul Bruckner, its original principal, once told an interviewer.

Times have changed under his successor, Principal Anthony Lodico, who admits he has a knack for discipline — and a military-esque intolerance of “insubordin­ation.”

Lodico said the recent suspension spike was the result of his use of the broken-window theory when it comes to making sure students follow the rules.

“One of my philosophies is that we have zero tolerance,” said Lodico. “We do suspend if students are misbehaving or not following the discipline code.”

In addition to stricter enforcement of rules that lead to detention, such as wearing hats or headphones and listening to iPods in hallways, Lodico has cracked down on class-cutting by forbidding students from roaming freely through halls during free periods — which was always considered a perk of going to Murrow.

Lodico ended the unsupervised free periods that were a hallmark of the school’s free-spirited philosophy about two years ago, according to its student newspaper.

Since then, all students except seniors have been forced to spend their free periods — called “OPTAs” — in designated areas on campus. On top of that, leaving campus during a free period, which was never permitted but was generally accepted, is now next to impossible.

There were between 225 and 250 suspensions at Murrow between 2006 and 2009, Suspension data for 2009-2010 was not available.

Students we spoke to said they were not surprised by the high suspension numbers, arguing it was representative of school that came down too hard on minor issues.

“We’re not a bad school,” said Stephanie Tsamasiros, a senior. “So [the numbers] say the school is suspending people too easily.”

“We suspend for insubordination, where at a lot of other schools, that might not turn into suspensions,” said Lodico. “I think being consistent with the small things will help you not lead to bigger, more serious things.”

The school — named for the revered newscaster who famously denounced Sen. Joe McCarthy’s Committee on Un-American Activities in the 1950s — is one of the borough’s biggest high schools at just over 4,000 students — but the number of suspensions put it far ahead of similarly-sized schools nearby.

Midwood HS, with around 4,000 students, gave out only 89 suspensions last year, while James Madison HS, with just over 3,000 students, doled out 142.

Automotive HS in Greenpoint lead the borough with 394 suspensions, though it only has 881 students.

Lodico said he doesn’t think he’s violated the school’s founding philosophy, despite the changes.

“The philosophy where students had the ability to make choices and be part of the educational process — I don’t think that’s shifted at all,” he said. “But in terms of students not being able to sit in the hallway all day and not go to class, it’s shifted greatly.”

Students on the other hand, beg to differ.

“We used to be able to leave the school during OPTAs and be in the hallways freely, which made Murrow unique,” said Phoebe Taylor, a junior. “But now they’re just unreasonab­le.”

— with Carla Sinclair

Reach reporter Eli Rosenberg at erosenberg@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2531. And follow him at twitter.com/from_where_isit.
Updated 5:28 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Resident from PPW says:
Kudos to Principal Lodico.
Dec. 1, 2011, 5:09 am
Murrow '80 from Cobble Hill says:
Saul Bruckner treated students like adults. Anthony Lodico treats students like prisoners. I'd rather live in a society where young people were socialized to be responsible individuals rather than obedient subjects.
Dec. 1, 2011, 7:20 am
Linda from Sheepshead bay says:
I graduated from Murrow in 2004, Mr. Bruckner's last year. I'm sure he's spinning in his grave over this nonsense. Way to ruin Murrow guy.
Dec. 1, 2011, 8:54 am
Blue moon from Midwood says:
Lodico is an amazing principal who does right by students
Dec. 1, 2011, 9:01 am
Gail from Midwood says:
I graduated from Murrow in 1981. I understand that times have changed. Many things have changed since 1981. However, I have always believed in picking your battles for one, and allowing the students to make some mistakes so that they can learn & grow. We had many freedoms back then, some abused them, most did not. I must say that most of the graduates did indeed move on to higher education & also succeeded in their chosen fields of study, or something close to those. Much of those successes came from being allowed to have those freedoms, learning to use the free time wisely, and yes, sometimes make really stupid mistakes during those OPTA Bands. If these students are just knocked down & suspended every time they sneeze (which is what the numbers seem to point to compared to the rest of Brooklyn) then I don't see how they can learn & grow to be successful adults.
Dec. 1, 2011, 9:27 am
Boris from Midwood says:
Perhaps the students will learn a lesson from the experience of breaking a rule and being punished by a suspension?
Dec. 1, 2011, 9:53 am
Shari - Murrow '81 from Dobbs Ferry says:
This makes me sad. We recently had an unofficial HS reunion. We were all remembering what a special place Murrow was and how Saul Bruckner was an amazing educator and human being. I left Brooklyn almost 15 years ago and live in a nice Westchester suburb with "good" schools. But I wish my sons could have the kind of HS experience I had at Murrow. I was respected fully prepared for college. Part of my learning came from the independence and the responsibility I was allowed. Its a shame that this foundation of the school is being undermined.
Dec. 1, 2011, 10:05 am
Shari - Murrow '81 from Dobbs Ferry says:
Dec. 1, 2011, 10:05 am
mike from bensonhurts says:
boo hoo,waaw waaw,what a bunch of spoiled brats
discipline is good
get over it
Dec. 1, 2011, 11 am
lolwhat from FiDi says:
It seems as if the discipline that you deem as so "good", is totally lost on you Mike. Not so surprisingly, you appear as the brat instead.
Dec. 1, 2011, 11:18 am
Kevin- Murrow '01 from Sheepshead Bay says:
This is a disgrace to everything Saul Bruckner worked toward for all his years as Murrow's principal, not to mention a complete betrayal of everything Edward R. Murrow stood for as a man. In defense of their legacies, the school should hereby be renamed Donald H. Rumsfeld High School.
Dec. 1, 2011, 11:53 am
Rose from Murrow Class of 95 says:
What a disgrace--
Dec. 1, 2011, 12:14 pm
Whodee from Midwood says:
I'd love to see the overall test scores of these 3 schools next to each other. I wouldn't be surprised if Murrow was doing better academically than Midwood and James Madison.
Dec. 1, 2011, 1 pm
Peter from Park slope says:

Suspensionfor"insubordination"?
Does that mean "talking back", cause if you're an
adult in the right, you should
be able to counter-argue and
help the child's sense of logic grow.
i'm sure the high schools in North Korea have verylittle trouble with insubordination, but that's
not neccassarily always a good thing.
Dec. 1, 2011, 2:05 pm
Helene M from Parkchester says:
I graduated Murrow in 1999 and was an enormous supporter of Saul Bruckner's approach to education. I had the pleasure of visiting Murrow many times through my job and volunteering. I have also worked with many current students (none of whom appeared to be scarred by structure). Each of the students were creative, individualistic thinkers and unafraid to stand apart. That is what Mr Bruckner loved. He chose one path and Mr Lodico another, both to the same goal. I also must add that not every young person can handle and thrive in a highly free environment. Many of my peers suffered in that freedom and a few unlucky ones fell through the cracks. It is difficult to see something change that you once loved. I urge those who have concerns to get more involved in the school. I expect you will be pleasantly surprised.
Dec. 1, 2011, 2:07 pm
Vadim from Brooklyn says:
I am a 2003 Murrow grad. I loved Murrow and I feel that its system was a great preparation for college. Being independent was great. It so sad that this is over.
Dec. 1, 2011, 2:22 pm
SR from Brooklyn says:
I am a 1998 Murrow grad and a current teacher in Edward R. Murrow High School. Murrow is far from a prison or "military-esque intolerance of insubordination". The student population is not the same as it once was. Murrow high school is still a place for freedom, just changing to the demands of the population. In regards to "stricter enforcement of rules that lead to detention, such as wearing hats or headphones and listenening to iPods in hallways..." is a Chancellor's Regulation and all high schools in New York City have to follow those rules. Mr. Lodico and all the staff members are trying to keep students safe and have this institution a place where students have their freedom and independence. If anyone wanted a true representation of what Murrow is should come in and see for themselves what Murrow is all about. One set of satistics does not show the TRUE representation of our school.
Dec. 1, 2011, 3:10 pm
EG from Brooklyn says:
You should ask the city and state what they are trying to do to the public schools in NYC. Schools are forced to make certain changes because as you know it is a NUMBERS GAME. That's all they look at!! So schools are forced to make these changes so graduation rates go up, passing percentages go up and all students get a valued education. We give our students a safe and secure learning environment with the best teachers in the city. Our students have scored well despite the fact that you are only looking at suspension rates. So explain why 11,000 8th graders apply to our school for approximately 1,000 seats. We must really be bad!!! Don't judge until you truly know our school!
Dec. 1, 2011, 3:18 pm
sarah from brooklyn says:
You should have went to Maison 10 years ago like I did. You needed to wait on an hour line to get through the metal detectors and they took away our cell phones. The kids were passing knifes through the fences and stabbing each other after school. That school was a nightmare for me, I couldn't imagine how running a school with such a lack of discipline would feel like. If need be let them get suspended but I don't think that will solve any problems.
Dec. 1, 2011, 4:15 pm
Judy from Midwood says:
Go Lodico! About time.
Dec. 1, 2011, 5:58 pm
Former Murrow Teacher says:
I have taught in three high schools, including Murrow, and can say for certain that Lodico's approach to discipline has created the best atmosphere for learning I've ever seen. The reason Murrow's suspension numbers seem so high in comparison to other schools is because most NYC DOE principals feel pressured to overlook bad behavior so that they look safer. I have frequently seen students scream at, curse at, or threaten their teachers, and get away without any punishment from the school administration. Murrow is the only DOE high school I know of today, where that doesn't happen.

Kudos to Mr. Lodico who is brave enough to stand up for the safety of his students and teachers, despite the fact that it caused his name to be dragged through the mud in the Brooklyn Paper.
Dec. 1, 2011, 6:38 pm
ben says:
I won't just the school just from this one statistic, but suspensions are pretty harsh. How are those students going to explain them on their college app?
Dec. 1, 2011, 7:20 pm
ANON from Brooklyn Heights says:
A hit an a principal unpopular with the DOE by his News Corp. henchmen. Great school, great principal.
Dec. 1, 2011, 7:39 pm
A.C. from Midwood says:
I am a 2004 graduate from Murrow in who is now a school psychologist. I feel very sad that Bruckner's hard work to establish a school with freedom of expression and student choice is now more of a typical school, with little room for students to gain that sense of independence, which I value so much from my time at the school. I don't blame the new principal, I understand that the DOE's policy's are strict and limit the schools' ability to maintain it's foundations of excellence. Murrow was a school that truly worked, and I think we need more educators like Mr. Brunkner who understood the importance of respecting and trusting your students as well as giving them room to grow rather then suffocating them with discipline.
Dec. 1, 2011, 7:53 pm
2007 graduate from Brooklyn says:
I graduated from Murrow in 2007. Hopefully this will be informative to all the earlier graduates who are understandably upset over this. My freshmen year was Bruckner's last year as principal. I agree that he was a great guy with a great vision, unfortunately a large number of my peers were unable to handle the responsibility and freedom he was prepared to give them. During that year (2003) there was at least one stabbing within two blocks of the school and regular fights in the halls that literally got so big at times that basically the entire school safety team had to get together to break the up. It was chaos.

The only people to blame for the end of many of Murrow's trademark freedoms are the students themselves. These changes were not made for no reason. Without these changes Murrow would have just degenerated into the same kind of unsafe ——ty atmosphere that is present in most NYC public high schools. Props to Lodico for making the hard but necessary choices and shame on all the disrespectful wanna be gangstas who ruined a great thing for everybody else.
Dec. 1, 2011, 8:54 pm
Lara from Brooklyn Heights says:
I graduated in '04, the last year that Bruckner walked the halls. If he could see his school now he would be heartbroken. For those of you that blame the students, correction blame the system. The No Child Left Behind policy turned a bastion of free thinking and altruism into a veritable prison. They've had to lower their standards to except kids that don't fit the Murrow ideal, therefore corrupting the schools very foundation. I would have loved to have sent my own children there when the time is right, but how could I now! Who would believe my tales of playing UNO in the art wing or twister in the music hall or taking naps in the crook of the library wing. Or just even being treated like an adult and being able to argue and fight for your beliefs with teachers who respected you. I'm sorry Mr. Bruckner they failed you.
Dec. 1, 2011, 9:17 pm
Teach from Bk says:
Wish my school was like that. Seen way too much and the principal turns a blind eye to it so she's not bothered. Kids need structure, praise and consequences.
Dec. 1, 2011, 9:35 pm
bk from Brooklyn Heights says:
Wow. thanks for the head up.I Definitely WANT to send my kid there now.
Dec. 1, 2011, 10:39 pm
Graduate from Sheepshead says:
I bet every student that got suspended deserved it. I went to Murrow from 2003 to 2007 and there were some completely wild students that I don't think could have functioned properly in society without the necessary structure and discipline. While I am very grateful for the freedom I had, I also understand that I was mature enough to not take advantage of it, unlike many other students at that age. I think Mr. Lodico is doing a great job and should keep at it. They'll get all the freedom they need in 4 years of college anyway!
Dec. 1, 2011, 10:42 pm
Kevin '02 from Sheepshead Bay says:
I will be the first to admit that kids need to be taught discipline. Lodico is totally running Murrow into the ground. In my opinion, suspensions keep kids at home and with enough suspensions students may never return to school. I have been a lucky guy to have many great principals/school presidents throughout my schooling. What set Bruckner apart from all others was the fact that he taught by being a friend, being a role model, being fair. Many times while attending Murrow he walked up to me and just chatted with me. Not once was I ever reprimanded/scolded/suspended for something I was clearly doing wrong. He would tell stories about his own life that would inspire me to be a better person. If there is one thing I would come to regret in my life, it would be that I never got the chance to tell him how much he influenced the path chose to take and that I continue to take. High School is a learning experience where kids learn through trial and error. Lodico ruling with an iron fist, handing out suspensions like flyers seems a bit much.

RIP Saul Bruckner (the world needs more like him)
Dec. 1, 2011, 11:11 pm
Alum '07 from Brighton Beach says:
Too bad. Murrow was a good school with some amazing teachers (and some mean old farts). Between art, music, stage performance, politics, and science, Murrow offered many things to anyone who was seeking it. I admit, I was a big nerd in high school and never took advantage of OPTAs, but it was always comforting to know they were there. I left Murrow with a graduating class of around 800 students and since then, I've heard about all the changes to the school; security cams in the halls, loss of OPTAs for freshmen and sophomores, firing of teachers (some rumored as being due to alleged sexual harassment complaints by students), and shootings and stabbings outside the campus. My last two years at Murrow, I remember the halls being more overcrowded than ever. The school's student population was seriously changed by the closing of nearby sub-standard high schools. Murrow is not a good place for displaced adolescents; it’s just too easy to take advantage of the freedoms that young people so greedily want. I’d heard that before I left, some parts of the school became meeting places for gangs (although I never looked into this myself). Lodico was a nice guy in his first years, and took the time to break into his faculty and students. But ultimately, what would you do if it came down to the safety of students? I don’t blame him for what’s happened to Murrow (even though I would argue against the obliteration of OPTAs); I link this to the sad decline of youth culture and human morals. But then again, I’m a pretty pessimistic guy.
Dec. 2, 2011, 2:29 am
jess from ues says:
I graduated Murrow in 2000. I strongly feel that my experience there prepped me for college, and gave me a unique way of looking at life. Saul Bruckner was an amazing man. In my memory, if he would see a student hanging out in the halls too much or misbehaving, he would take the time to personally speak to that student and try to reach them on a personal level. I will always look back fondly on my Murrow days.
Dec. 2, 2011, 5:30 am
Cmase2005grad from albany, ny says:
2007 graduate

I graduated from Murrow in 2005. The stabbing you speak of in 2003 was by a student that did not even go to our school but he was upset about some girl that was dating a guy that went to our school. The fights you speak of were non-existent. The entire time I was there the only fights I witnessed happened off school grounds because in school fighting was not tolerated. It just did not happen. So when a fight did happen on the train or on Ave M. It was a big deal.

For those of you to blame population as the issue I went to Murrow when the population was at 4200 even though we were in a building designed for 2400. When I first came in it was extremely easy to sneak in and out the building if you did not go to Murrow. I had a lot of friends that would come to chill there during the days. Mr bruckner caught on to that and then the students were then forced to swipe in the building which cut that down to pretty much impossible.
Although his tactics were not military-esque we all got the point.

OPTAS were an awesome perk. Some students took advantage of this but I did not. Murrow was that place that celebrated the independence of its students and allowed us to make choices for ourselves. This prepared me for college and it caused me to be more independent and realize that I was responsible for my own future. I had teachers and a great principal that gave me alot of support. A lot of people said if you are not a focused student then Murrow might not be the school for you. This goes back to making sure they accept the right students and not just anybody.

I was also there when Mr Lodico came in and he changed a lot. Soon as he walked in the building he started changing things. Security guards constantly on your back even if you had a free period. He was a very nice man n was an amazing supporter just like Mr. Bruckner. It's true that they had the same goal in mind just with different tactics.

Mr Lodico is attempting to.make sure that ppl don't fall through the cracks because of all our freedoms. I have friends that never graduated because the freedom was too much for them to handle so I get it. "Sweat the small stuff" is a motto that we follow at an Elementary school that I teach at in Albany, Ny. But is Murrow for soon to be adults or young adolescents? you tell me.
Dec. 2, 2011, 5:44 am
1977 Grad from Homecrest says:
I remember OPTA well, and often spent those times in an empty classroom in the music corridor with a few friends. I also did sometimes take advantage of the freedom we had as well. Being in the first graduating class of the school and among those first few hundred students to enter those doors was an amazing experience, one of course that I can only appreciate retrospectively. Saul Bruckner was an innovator whose philosophy worked for many, and didn't for others, which is neither unexpected nor undesirable. Sure, there were student conflicts, but for the most part we all got along quite well, and I am sure that the atmosphere he helped create went a long way toward our sense of respect toward one another. The security guards were as important and beloved to us as were our teachers; there was really no distinction. Certainly, times change and things change with it. I guess Mr. Lodico is responding to these incidences the way he sees fit. He isn't Mr. Bruckner, and shouldn't have to be. Hopefully, though, his philosophy will result in positive change, and detentions and suspensions will lessen accordingly and he will be able to concentrate on other, more positive, things.
Dec. 2, 2011, 10:05 am
Liz from Brooklyn says:
I graduated Murrow in 2002, and it was an amazing experience. I feel that the freedoms we were allowed prepared me for college. Some people abused those freedoms, but most did not. It saddens me that this is what it's turned into: just your regular, run-of-the-mill high school.
I wonder if Mr. Lodico was asked about his approach to education when being interviewed for the role of principal: his tactics seem to not be in line with Murrow's philosophy.
I will always remember Mr. Bruckner fondly and look back on my years at Murrow as an amazing time.
That being said, I'm glad to have graduated before this travesty happened.
Dec. 2, 2011, 10:49 am
val from brooklyn says:
I graduated in 2005. The school changed for the worst. I give props to Mr Lodico, although we were crying when we found out about the leave.

It is the students. There were always OPTAs, we never had any problems. Its not the crowds, we always had them. But in the last year or so (2004), it got out of hand. Its not the number of students its the type. No child left behind f#%ed it up, excuse my french. Kids cannot handle freedom and there are consequences. Its their own fault and they ruined a great high shcool experience for future generations.
I graduated earlier, just so I would not see the circus it was becoming. Very disappointed.

Mr Lodico actually is taking control so the school doesnot loose its standing, and its reputation.
Dec. 2, 2011, 10:55 am
Nicole from Mill Basin says:
I graduated from Murrow in 2006 and am proud to tell people about the spirit of freedom that I experienced in HS. I went on to do well in college and go on to law school, accomplishments I don't think I could have accomplished without being treated with respect in HS. I got to see the change between Murrow's founding principle Bruckner and Lodico. He had these changes in mind from the get go and it is truly a shame. The best thing about Murrow was its ability to teach kids the importance of hard work and self motivation through natural consequences. "If you don't go to class and don't do you work, you won't do well." To impose these
policy changes doesn't allow children to learn naturally. This is not right at all. I hope he reconsiders his policy and actually encourages kids to stay in school and do well instead of getting them out of his hair with suspensions.
Dec. 2, 2011, 11:11 am
Linda from Bensonhurst says:
I'm currently a Senior in Murrow for the class of 2012. And in all honesty, it's become quite ridiculous. The Administration are unprofessional and makes the whole school experience a dread.

As far as the whole OPTAs thing goes, as Seniors we need a 'special sticker' to roam the halls and even then, there is harrassment from the guards. And the defense is that them checking on us with stop the truism. At the end of the day, students that leave the school aren't checked for OPTAs. If we want to leave and cut and not come back, there is ample ways to achieve that. Plenty of students leave and come back and stay straight into the evening. It becomes an issue of trust.

On the topic overpopulation, we don't exactly have control over that. It isn't our fault that the Department of Education decides to close schools and over-crowd us. The hallways are so hot and gross and you can always tell when there is an increase of suspensions because you can actually BREATHE in the halls. The kids are getting more and more immature and the numbers are over the top.

What difference does it make if the school maintains it's 'reputation' if the 'reputation' is fake? It's not fair that everyone has to suffer for the poor management of the next generation.
Dec. 2, 2011, 11:47 am
Nicole from Bensonhurst says:
I'm a Senior in Murrow High School. Mr. Lodico is doing the best he can to keep our grades up in this school. Call a spade a spade - there wouldn't be so many limits if the No Child Left Behind program wasn't put into place. Students who come here should be here because they want to be here, and not because they're forced to. Also, they should be screened (auditioned) or tested and meet school standards.
Many students are upset over the loss of the hallway OPTA's for the 10-12th grades. I don't agree with them not having hallway OPTAs. Murrow is supposed to be a school with a college environment to help its student prepare for life past these doors.
People should want to come to this school. There are so many things to get involved in. Theres even the dress up activities and such. Having 4 years of experience, I fully support the school and their decisions.
Dec. 2, 2011, 11:48 am
MurrowMom from Brooklyn Heights says:
I am the parent of two current Murrow students. Describing Mr. Lodico's approach as military-esque is something I have never seen. And suspensions? Never the first line of fire for sure. This is an inner city school with 4,000 students so the number of suspensions in a year does not surprise nor trouble me. What is the percentage compared to Midwood and Madison? Are these schools metal detector schools? Murrow is not! If keeping kids out of the halls increases their attendance in classes - kudos
Dec. 2, 2011, 11:48 am
Adam from Kensington says:
When I went to Murrow 2002-2006 we used to be able to access the outside of the building. Not off school grounds, but actually able to BREATH and get some fresh air. That devolved when bad schools closed down. A huge chunk of students came from Erasmus which is zoned for people in a terrible community.

Murrow needs to be recognized as one of the specialized high schools in new york, either that or raise the test standards for getting into Murrow.
Dec. 2, 2011, 1:25 pm
Adam from Kensington says:

Dec. 2, 2011, 1:25 pm
Withheld from Murrow's says:
I teach at Murrow and have done so since the Bruckner years. Both principals lead the school they had -- Brucker's was the school he created, staffed, and ran; Lodico's the one Bruckner left with little warning to his staff.

Bruckner did not have NCLB or "Race to the Top" which assign numbers to graduation rates; Lodico does. So kids can't "choose" to "make the mistake" of sitting on the floor and not graduating on time. Not now.

Bruckner could hand-pick a large number of admitted freshmen; Lodico cannot. So students who might have been better candidates for Mr. Bruckner's school are not here in large numbers; the party crowd is.

Bruckner did not see a data-driven "Report Card" reduce his unique school to a restaurant rating; Lodico has.

And Bruckner took his share of heat, too --

So you got a lot of responses, Brooklyn Paper. As Saul Brukner used to say of some school publications, "Who knew anyone really read it?"

I'd send my kids to Murrow in a heartbeat, if they could get past the labyrinthine system of "school choice."
Dec. 2, 2011, 1:35 pm
tara from mill basin says:
I am appalled at this article. I am a junior at Murrow and I hate that this is being said about an amazing principal. You would not understand how he works unless you actually attend the school now. He is always looking out for the students and trying his best to make everyone happy, not to mention everyone gets a good education. He is not suspending students "every time they sneeze". He is doing what he needs to do to keep everyone safe. I have worked with him as a director this year and he is always there to help, no matter how big or small the problem may be. It is completely wrong that he is being criticized for trying to do the right thing. As a student, I can't believe this person has the nerve to comment about the way Mr. Lodico runs this school.
Dec. 2, 2011, 1:50 pm
05 grad from queens says:
Murrow became what it is now becaus eof No Child Left Behind as someone said earlier, it is extremely over populated and if you have that many students with the ability to roam freely then you will havbe problems, the way Mr. Bruckner ran the school was fine but it wasnt made for 4000 students
Dec. 2, 2011, 4:04 pm
Dave from Brooklyn says:
Shame on Lodico! He is destroying what Saul Bruckner dedicated his whole life to building. Murrow used to be an amazing place where kids were given the freedom to make their own decisions. For some this meant skipping class and hanging out in the hallways but for most it meant learning self discipline to get good grades. A lesson that stuck with me through college and into the workplace.
Dec. 2, 2011, 4:54 pm
xy from Brooklyn says:
Interesting. When I graduated, they were already borderline taking away the freedom of the students. I remember when I first started, the entire school was so peaceful. During my last year, students were setting garbage cans on fire! What Murrow turned into today is all a result of what those disobedient students have done. It's quite unfair to those students who don't cause trouble to have to have their freedom stripped from them, but what can Mr. Lodico do? I believe his policies are all justified. Don't compare the school now to what it used to be when the reason for change isn't even clear. It's not fair to Mr. Lodico.
Dec. 2, 2011, 5:07 pm
Billy Batts says:
2005 graduate, courtyard..... I miss u. Saul was the best, better call Saul R.I.P
Dec. 2, 2011, 6:15 pm
James '06 says:
First off: It would be nice if this article had any info on WHY the changes were made, and not just that they were made. Moving on.

Having graduated from there in '06, and returned recently, I have a solid feel for what the school is like. I had Mr. Bruckner, and then saw Lodico in his first years. Sure it's more strict, but it is a necessity. I still see plenty of kids trying to cut, or disregard the rules, or even flat out disrespect the faculty (cursing, screaming, threatening).

When students are in school, they are at work. Can you skip a day of work, with only a forged note from your "parents" and get away with it? No. It is their job to go to class, to learn, and to prepare themselves for college and the real world.

They don't get much preparation sitting in the hallway watching viral youtube videos on their iPhones -- TRUST me. We live in a different world than when Murrow was founded. The mindset of the on coming generation is certainly different than it's predecessors, and in a unique way.

It is not Lodico's fault. The rules have changed according to the new challenges presented by the student body.

Murrow is STILL an incredible school, and will continue to educate at one of the highest standards in the United States. Lodico's method of control over the student body is justified and even necessary with the increasing dangers of knowledge and unruly habits in a number of the student body. The students' behavior coming into the school does not, cannot, and should not be mistaken for a reflection of the school's effects on them -- they learned it else where. It is up to the school to help shape their habits, and prepare them for the hard road ahead. Strict leadership is a time-tested solution... and honestly, walking around the school today reminds me very much of what it was like when I first entered during the final Bruckner years.

It's still an awesome public school.

Mr. Lodico is an outstanding leader, and a proper replacement for Mr. Bruckner. I don't think any of the people bashing his name have any idea what they are talking about.

Cheers, Anthony. Keep on truckin', you are doing it right.
Dec. 2, 2011, 6:54 pm
08 graduate from Brooklyn says:
wow
i graduated in 2008 n Mr. Lodico was already starting to make changes during my junior year. but i never dreamed he would ban OPTAS. (he basically banned roaming in the hallways n going and doing your own thing. thats being banned in my opinion) i entered as a freshmen in 2004 and that was Mr. Lodicos first year there.
he even banned the courtyard while i was there. but i wont pin it all on mr. lodico. some, not most, of the students were seriously horrible and i guess i dont blame him 100 percent. but i AM upset that he put forth such drastic changes.
i live practically next to Murrow. the way it used 2 be before is not the way it is now. theres a whole LOT MORE students. heck, even the streets are crowded and its annoying with everyone hanging around everywhre. it wasnt like this before a couple eyars ago. the whole no child left behind act seriously put a dent in murrows everyhting (reputation, standards, everyhting)
but i had awesome fun in Murrow and if i could go back n relive my 4 years there, i would jump at the chance in a heartbeat. MURROW ROCKS (well used to anyway)
Dec. 2, 2011, 6:55 pm
LodicHo from Midwood says:
Murrow was fouded on a basic set of chartered principles. Its ability to remain a unique environment for some of the city's brightest students is at jeopardy. Once designated a school of excellence, Murrow has a reputation to uphold. Is this the reputation that the founding charter anticipated; second highest suspension rate? Would the constitution be ammended just because of insubordination. Get real, students will do things they are nit supposed to. To be clear, I beleive that there are students that disrupt the flow of educational freedom, that has never changed and never will. What has changed is the transference of authority. Perhaps the security guards should do their jobs instead of chumming it up with the insubordinates. Mind you its the worst behaved that get away with the most because they pal up to the sedurity guards. The blame is misplaced and you would only know if you have ever gone to Murrow. Murrow is a school like no other and should remain that way, this broken window theory doesn't work and will never work. If you don't believe me, ask the staff at Dewey H.S. how that approach fared. Lets ask them when the phase out the entire school soon. Dewey is notoriously one of Brooklyns worst of the worst. Under Lodico's military dictatorship Dewey was likened to a "Nazi Deathcamp (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/education/07education.html?pagewanted=print
The bottom line is Lodico turned Murrow into a prison, cameras at every turn, no more Opta's and 300 suspensions, please please, anyone, differentiate Murrow from any other high school. Oh, right, they have no sports. I am disgusted and so should everyone who has ever been a part of the Bruckner administration. Zero tolerance for insubordination, I have zero tolerance for this distgusting overuse of power.
Dec. 2, 2011, 9:15 pm
Roberta from Midwood says:
when Mr Bruckner was the Principal, we were living during a time when there was a healthy separation between the municipal administration and education. It was a time when vocational skills were considered as necessary to a culture as ...academic ones. It was an era before ENRON, LEHMAN BROTHERS, FANNY MAE, FREDDY MAC, BERNIE MADOFF, etc. It was a time when Mr Bruckner hand-chose the students who attended Murrow; I was a Murrow student who was able to leave 'campus' -- it was a time before gang initiation was accepted in NYC. Isn't this paper under the auspices of Murdoc, who hacked into a little girl's account - a girl who had been murdered.... just to 'create' news? Doesn't Joel Kline work for a Murdoch corporation? Would the individual who wrote this (I dare not refer to him/her as 'author' or 'reporter') kindly provide some primary source research, dating back to 1974? FYI: That was then; this is now -- did we have drones back then? We didn't have Homeland Security as an industry back then either -- write a real story..... how banal..... and misinformed.....
Dec. 2, 2011, 9:22 pm
Jermaine greaves from Canarsie says:
Lodico is a great principal but not the best I graduated murrow in 2011 to be honest a lot of the kids dont know who he is and what he is about from the post I could sense thAt Saul was great I wish I knew him murrow ideal was to create a college environment for students I remeber when I first heard about Murrow new rule I cry I was like the end of an era dead lodico to be honest was not the best principal I enjoy the dean she was great she knew all the students and made people feel special.
Dec. 2, 2011, 10:27 pm
JB from Brighton says:
This article is not true journalism. Where are your facts? Using a few numbers here and there and quoting one student is definitely not supportive. I do not understand someone can critique without any background. There are no true examples to support this argument. What is even the point? Murrow has had even more admissions than ever before. We are one of the biggest schools in NYC and stayed on top for the past 37 years. Thank you for proving that real journalism is not printed in local newspapers like this. Not professional at all.
I completely support Murrow and Mr. Lodico's policies. We now live in a different world that unfortunately leads to change. It is unfair to describe the disciplinary system solely on suspensions. Murrow has a privilege of not having metal detectors in every entrance. The number of suspensions is the amount of total not that 300 or more people are getting suspended. The deans work around the clock to make sure every student is safe and going to school to learn. I can relate. Having a teacher as a dean shows how much work they have. We were in the middle of a study session when a fight broke out and she had to go take care of it. Fights are based on human nature and schools try to discipline their students. In such a diverse school, there are conflicts. We live in a diverse America aren’t there conflicts too? Do we think and say, gee, when America was first born, there was so much less violence; America is now bad because there is more violence. NO America has grown and changed and so has Murrow.
Would you want to go to a class with the kid next to you cursing out the teacher and disrupting the class? I wouldn’t. We go to a PUBLIC school; there are students from everywhere come to Murrow. Why focus on a place to hang out when DIVERSITY is the true thing Murrow is known. A location should not define a person’s freedom. We did not change the OPTA system but upgraded it to our time. In Murrow, there are choices and students really do take part in the process of their education. That is why we have SING!, student directors and TA's. I am definitely prepared for college thanks to Murrow, a lot more than my fellow constituents in different schools. We students gain a relationship with their teachers. The teachers at Murrow really look out for their students even if it is disciplining them with detention. I learned a lot about Mr. Bruckner and his ideas; he would not appreciate this at all. Mr. Lodico does his best as principal. If I were a parent, I would not even think twice. Murrow is not defined by numbers as everything else in this society is. Murrow is a community and sitting in the hallway has nothing to do with that.
Dec. 2, 2011, 10:59 pm
Murrow '12 from Bensonhurst says:
I am currently a senior at Murrow and I definitely would not liken the school as military-like. Yes, I do agree that many students of all grades deserve hallway OPTAS but I understand that many cannot handle this responsibility.

Mr. Lodico is actually a pretty nice guy and I believe he is doing what he thinks will benefit the school. Yes, I was pissed when I was told I couldn't sit in the hallways but, working for a teacher, I have seen dramatic changes when this new policy was instated.

I think Murrow should be better recognized so more responsible freshmen are only allowed to enter. Nevertheless, I think Murrow's atmosphere is great and conducive to learning. This school has given me more confidence to voice my opinions and become an individual regardless of all the new policies.
Dec. 2, 2011, 11 pm
Kris S. from Gerritsen Beach says:
The principles Murrow was founded on are the exact opposite of Principal Lodico's "zero tolerance for insubordination" mandates. He knows it, too. The end of OPTAs signifies that more than anything. It's been his vision for Murrow from the start; no regard for anything the late Principal Bruckner (or the late Mr. Murrow, for that matter) stood for. I'm not surprised it's come to this, just... saddened. What a shame. R.I.P. Mr. Edward R. Murrow, Principal Saul Bruckner, OPTAs, the courtyard, and everything else great and unique that's been sucked out of that poor old building.
Dec. 2, 2011, 11:02 pm
Eboni Washington Class on 12' from brooklyn says:
I Currently go Edward R Murrow I will bbe graduating in 2012 and from coming in 2009 I saw the transition first had and yes as a student before I was upset at some of the changes but all of them had reasons the only problem I would say I seriously disagree with is the suspensions... There were a lot of suspensions but other than that every other change and new rule has a purpose... They don't want our electronics out because they are obviously a distraction and just like any other high school we have theives and ppl get there stuff stolen and all they can say is you shouldn't have it out in the first place... All though I dnt like the hat rule its really a moral thing I believe your not supposed to have hats on in a building in general and I think they're tryna teach us that lesson and the freedom got tooken away because students were taking advantage to the extreme ... We already don't have bells so we depend on other things to let us know when the band changes but when everyones in the hallway all day and you get caught up with friends and other things that freedom goes to your head the cutting got ridiculous. They were turning our "A" school into a trainwreck and it was Mr. Lodicos job to get it back together just like these ppl say things have changed since they left murrow so have the students. They can't just be thankful that we're different from other schools and were allowed a few perks they just took it run. They leave school and never come back and they have opta and then never go back to class. Mr. Lodico is a very kind caring principle he doesn't act or treat us like an army colonel. He's just trying to do what's best for his school and the students instead of letting us go to the slums. If mr. Lodico would've never set us as a student community straight who knows what we would be now.
Dec. 2, 2011, 11:07 pm
lisa says:
I graduated from murrow in 2010 and Lodico is doing the right thing. I remember many students chilling in the hallway never going to class. Until they learn how to be an adult and go to class like they are suppose to then they do not deserve to have free optas. The purpose of school is to learn not to chill in the hallway with your friends. Thats why the students are failing now because everyone wants to make excuses for them and give them freedom they obviously are not mature enough to handle.
Dec. 2, 2011, 11:37 pm
TaylorG says:
Honestly, my first thought when I read this was how unfair and cruel. You think that this is appropriate? Slandering a hard working man's name in the paper just to prove a point? For the record, you are wrong. I am a junior at murrow, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I go to school everyday, and I watch as ill-mannered children disrespect teachers, and think that this is ok. Sure, my freshman year hallway optas were taken away, but that pales in comparison to everything else we receive in this school. I am a better human being because I go to murrow.staff members, as well as Mr.Lodico have nutured us. When I entered this school I was a scared little girl, who was bullied since the fourth grade, and hated herself and couldn't trust others. Thanks to Mr.Lodico, the teachers are free to guide and support us. I have been helped through countless personal struggles during my three years here, and more then that...I'm no longer scared to go to school. Murrow, for the most part has been my safe space. I can be my true self in that school. I have done work on school shows, I am apart of H.E.A.R.T club and the theater program. My teachers are my inspiration, and none of them have ever once given up on me. Say what you may, but in our hearts we know this isn't true. Mr. Lodico is a good man with good intentions. I can't help and laugh when I see this, mymother is a techer, she was a dean, her friends work as administrators in madison and other high schools, and I'm sure they can tell you...its brutal. My school keeps me phyisically safe...while my mother was almost trampled while pregnant, then they almost ran over her infant child a year later, they throw desks and chairs at students and teachers, and her co-worker just as of two days ago was injured by a student. Don't tell me murrow is too protective, we get freedom and learn to be responsible, while other schools endanger their children.
Dec. 3, 2011, 12:31 am
kyashilah from brooklyn says:
wow, Murrow was one of unique schools. I know a lot has changed in it, but WOW; that's a big change. Sorry that all if those kids won't get the proper high school, well "Murrow experience". It's really sad to read that.
Dec. 3, 2011, 1:03 am
Murrow '11 from Cobble Hill says:
As much as I disliked getting rid of the hallway OPTAs, it needed to be done. So many students were taking advantage of it and they would cut classes all the time. Plus, no one ever cleaned after themselves and the hallways were a mess (garbage was seriously everywhere). The good thing though is that only seniors get to have this privilege, which I think is good enough. Honestly Mr. Lodico is a good principal and he had to act to save Murrow from being a closed school since it's grade was constantly dropping. He definitely respects the students and treats them like adults. The ones that have no respect though are the deans, I'll admit that.
Dec. 3, 2011, 1:09 am
Jay from Brooklyn says:
I graduated last last year so I experienced the changes in how OPTAs that took place. I could understand that some students ruined it for all of us but I do think that Lodico, while he is generally a nice person, was and is going overboard with the whole "zero tolerance for insubordiantion." I recently visited and I could feel how locked down the environment got. It did very much feel like a prison, maybe even worse considering the lack of freedom in a school that is supposed to encourage it.
The removing of different colored tiles make Murrow more common in my opinion. When they changed the tiles to straight up white and green in the main lobby last year, most students thought it looked like a bathroom. I agree with that. The different colors made the hallways come alive. I could understand wanting to use school colors but in the case of the main lobby, it didn't work too well.
I also think that the art department doesn't get enough recognition. I was in the art department and on the stage crew for all four years and it definitely seemed like the theater department got all, or rather most of the attention. I don't think that it's a bad thing. I just think that art and music departments take the back seat to the theater kids when it comes to that. That, along with the graduation rate needs improvement. And to Mr. Lodico, relax a little. Being too stern never leads to anything good when it comes to teenagers.
Dec. 3, 2011, 1:45 am
Rory Schwartz from Midwood says:
Anthony R. Lodico's tenure at Edward R. Murrow High School has consistently and continually maintained a school that is safe to send your children to and demonstrates each year a high graduation and college acceptance rate- these are the things parents should be concerned about- not whether children sit on the floor in the hall or a chair in a student lounge.
Dec. 3, 2011, 1:49 am
Class of 09 from East Flatbush says:
I went to Murrow I had some of the best times ever my first 2years.06/07-08/09 after that the school changed. I once was Suspenned for stopping a fight. I think the school is going Down hill. They need to make some new changes starting with the Lodico and then the teachers..
Dec. 3, 2011, 7:41 am
ERMHS Class of 2012 from Marine Park says:
I am senior of ERMHS and i think that it is NOT the Principal or the staff it is the students some of the students are ridiculous and dont belong there but honestly i love that school and rather be here then at madison or some catholic school.
Dec. 3, 2011, 9:24 am
Class of 12 says:
I think a lot of you ppl should read the comments of the kids who experienced this first hand and are experiencing it currently to see our opinions instead of making judgements when you don't know what's going on in our school ...
Dec. 3, 2011, 9:26 am
Parent from Homecrest says:
Our daughter graduated class of 07! When she was accepted into Murrow, we were very elated, the school had an awesome program, great principle, teaching staff etc.. Truth be told, the school allowed a little too much freedom for our liking, but we understood the concept. It really depends on the student, he/she needs to be self motivated, responsible and mature enough to use the FREEDOM the school had to offer back then. Our daughter had to adjust and become accountable for her actions but at the end she was grateful for the opportunity to have graduated from such a great school. FYI....another HS in NYC allows students to go off campus during their lunch or free periods, and very few abuse this privilege. Perhaps Murrow needs to do a better job with their student selection process. Transcripts, auditions, interviews etc...
Like always, people don't know the value of what they have until it's taken away. example: OPTA'S and the freedom to study in the hallways wtihout abusing the priviledge. Perhaps Principal Anthony Lodico should revist what worked in the past and just tweek it in moderation... too extreme is never the answer. Lets not drag this school down the drain. Lets make Edward R Murrow the school that young adults want to attend!!
Dec. 3, 2011, 9:45 am
John from Brooklyn says:
Visit the school. Attend a Murrow production or concert. Visit a class, a club or the Student Alliance. Come to a PA meeting and speak with the parents. Talk to a true representation of students, faculty and staff. Look at more than one statistic. You will then be able to make a more objective and honest assessment of the current Edward R. Murrow High School community.

It is a shame that the writer of this article never learned the principles of good journalism. He might want to sit in on Mr. Menscher's beginning journalism class.

As many have said earlier, I would want my own child to attend Edward R. Murrow H.S.!!!
Dec. 3, 2011, 10:13 am
Anon from Brooklyn Heights says:
Parents ask yourselves, Why the sensational headlines? Why not just report the number of suspensions? Then ask yourselves, What company owns this paper? You will then realize that this is an attempt to destroy one of the great large high schools in NYC by the Klein employer, Murdoch-owned News Corp. It's PR campaign disguised as news to scare middle-class parents from the best and most diverse school in NYC. They probably have plans to propose charter HS in Midwood and want to attrach Murrow's population. Don't buy it. Murrow is just one of those schools that report honestly because most schools do not for fear of articles like this one. And If they didn't report, they'd get slammed for hiding numbers.
Dec. 3, 2011, 10:40 am
Balal bhatti from Bensonhurst says:
This article is so true! I am a studet attending Murrow at the moment and I've been suspended 10 times in one year! Im not saying im a angel but they over react and there staff , deans , teachers and assistant priciple are very rood and disrespectful except for a handfull. Murrow is definetley not the way it was when i first came here.
Dec. 3, 2011, 11:57 am
Ali Shirazi 2007 from Midwood says:
High School students are meant to be as described. Its the age and a process a student goes through. If the "officials" can not manage and operate an high school, the must be replaced. Or FIRED better yet.

Society changes, rules change, so does freedom but for a better future.

The current principal is a ruler, dictator NOT a Administrator.

Let the students learn via their mistakes, if some are not mannered enough, suspend them for sure. But not suspend students for minor subjects. They should know suspension is grand impact of what they have done.

Fights occurs everywhere, not only Murrow. SO as said does that mean the President of USA will demand, "stay in your homes when your free!!" NO!.. its insane do to that.

Lodico is so ignorant on how to deal with such situation.
Dec. 3, 2011, 1:53 pm
Murrow parent from Park Slope says:
I have two daughters who graduated from Murrow over the last few years and are attending excellent colleges. The school is not perfect - I challenge anyone to run a NYC public school that is required to take students with all different levels of academic capabilities and do it perfectly. This article is irresponsible. The paper should have reported on the fact that Mr. Lodico attends every single show, concert, event etc. During busy performance seasons he was there until very late EVERY single night supporting those kids and cheering them on.  He knew all their names - and there were scores of them.  He knew the parents too.  He even sent them each individualized letters complimenting them on their performances.  We were very worried when Saul Bruckner left but quickly saw that there was no basis for our fears What an irresponsible hose job.
Dec. 3, 2011, 7:07 pm
Kat from Queens says:
I'm going to cut class b/c I don't want to be there... so I get suspended and don't have to go to class. What an effective form of punishment!
Dec. 3, 2011, 7:36 pm
Murrow 2011 from brooklyn says:
Murrow was a better school back then. But as a recent graduate, I have seen the change. From all the students having hallway optas, to student's losing the privilege. The students are to blame for this. Don't blame Lodico. If he wasn't doing anything. The school would be an even worse environment. I understand the hallway optas made Murrow a different school, but the school has different students which themselves are the reason for the change. If Mr. Bruckner was here, i'm sure he would do the same. The amount of cutting that has taken place in Murrow is ridiculous and change was needed. At first, i hated the change but then i realized it was for the better. I had freshman and sophomore year with hallway optas then junior year, it changed and senior year, i had my hallway opta. I'm just glad that i had that chance.
Dec. 3, 2011, 8:22 pm
murrow 2012 senior from midwood says:
Currently as a senior, Murrow changed because it had to be.My friendsand I ave spoken to Mr.Lodico for a sit-in meeting to discuss the issues of the hallway optas.We have fought for seniors to have optas and change had to be done to the immense amount of cutting and the schools population was 4000. Mr.Lodico has been a very honest, supportive and kind man. He even goes to every show and school meetings and is a very busy man but I think he took action to help combat the problems of cutting and to initiate discipline. Cudos to Lodico and te graduate rates and cutting has lowered.
Dec. 3, 2011, 9:30 pm
E. Herman-Chin from Brooklyn says:
I'm sorry to see that Mr. Rosenberg has sunk so low that he is forced to slander a good man & twist the truth in order to write a story.
Dec. 3, 2011, 10:11 pm
DowntownDad from Downtown Brooklyn says:
I can't even begin to speculate about the motives for presenting such a sensational headline as this during the week that high school admissions choices are being submitted. It seems as though someone has it as part of their agenda to attack one of the finest high schools in the city,...a school that offers as many or more AP courses as any other school in Brooklyn, and consistently offfers a high quality academic and arts enriched education.
Instead of reading this article, which I find misleading because of the inconsistency between its headline and its content, why not recommend that
parents read the parent/student/teacher surveys the DOE provides as part of the city's grading system for schools and visit the school instead.
As the parent of a middle school student, I have done just that and I can honestly say that Murrow is on our short list of preferred high schools. Murrow is not for everyone and it never has been. It is not an entirely selective school and must accept a large number of students from the surrounding communities. While this leads to a healthy diverse population, currently,it also offers great difficulties in implementing and maintaining the very progressive and idealistic vision for the school Mr. Bruckner had. In fact, I would think in this day and age it would be impossible to maintain with a population of close to 4000 students and the current policies implemented during Mayoral control of the DOE and other guidlines implemented by the State due to Federal initiatives such as "NO Child Left Behind" and "Race to the Top". Quite often a school's student population will determine
its level of success that usually only teachers and administrators are held accountable for. Can a school that Mr. Bruckner aspired to have exist in the current climate?
I have often heard from other parents that their concerns about Murrow might be that it was "too free" an environment and the questioned whether their high school age kids had the level maturity necessary to attend a place that. In all honesty, I don't think a 14 or 15 year old always makes the best choices or has reliable judgment.
My feeling is that Mr. Lodico is implementing policies based on his student population's ability and size, while having to adhere to DOE policies and maintain the level of excellence that Murrow is known for. I can tell you this.... they haven't invented enough money yet for me to try do this guy's job.
He has my admiration ....and no, I don't know him and am not a member of the UFT...but as a parent, I do look forward to the possibilty of sending my kid to the school he is effectively running.
Dec. 3, 2011, 11:35 pm
Frank from Gravesend says:
I love how everyone is so quick to bash Lodico, I graduated from Murrow in 2002, but Murrow is not the same now as is was in the past. Due to the "no child left behind" policy the school has taken in many students who rob, deal drugs, fight, light fires, etc etc. My mother works in the school so I get updates on how the school has progressively gotten worse and worse due to the calibur of students. Mr. Bruckner's policy would never work in this situation because most of the student cannot be treated as adults but more like the criminals that they are. Lodico is just doing want he has to in order to keep the rest of the students there save, and what difference does it make if a student who never attends classes and causes trouble, is missing from the school?
Dec. 4, 2011, 11:09 am
JA Parent from Park Slope says:
Eli Rosenberg can you tell me how many students went to Murrow when Mr Bruckner was principal? How about now with Mr Lodico. I went to a city school with over 4000, believe me OPTAs are not an option.
Dec. 4, 2011, 7:54 pm
1993 graduate says:
I have to say that the old method worked. Why change something that works. I can understand conforming to the new rules but taking away OPTA'S. Really? That was the entire foundation of the school. Didn't surprise me that some1 would want to change that. There r plenty of high school students that can actually be responsible y should they b the ones to suffer all at the expense of the misbehaved. The ones misbehaving should h asked to change their ways.
Dec. 4, 2011, 10:56 pm
Freshman of 2011 from Murrow H.S. says:
I think what Mr. Lodico is doing may be harsh, but some students just dont want to follow the rules. Its best that he put them in suspension so that they wont hurt anyone else around them. Also in the past few years, many students had taken advantage of their OPTA's and used the excuse to cut class. Because there are over 4,000 kids in the school, the teachers and school aids are not able to go up to every student and ask for their schedule. Now its up to the seniors to behave so that we can keep the OPTA's going.
Dec. 6, 2011, 8:17 pm
Harris from Park Slope says:
The really hard thing to believe is that Edward R. Murrow High School was born due to John Dewey High School. Mr. Saul Bruckner was a teacher in JDHS then opened ERMHS which copied everything about Dewey. But now I'm a bit skeptical about sending my child to ERMHS when JDHS is progressing and Murrow is falling, piece by piece.

As a father of a 7th grader, my son really is into the arts and I honestly don't feel Murrow is safe anymore, with the constant drug activity, and fires in the school. John Dewey High School has seemed to be more, I don't know... say... better and controlled, with its campus and college-like attitude (in my opinion of course!) but who knows, because from what I noticed is that Murrow is exactly like Dewey in the a perspective of the educational system. For example: Dewey has bands, Murrow has bands. Dewey has free bands, Murrow has OPTA's.
Jan. 14, 2012, 6:12 pm
Betty from Kensington says:
Don't forget that there was an October stabbing that my daughter told me they were using metal detectors temporarily. Jeez!
Jan. 26, 2012, 12:24 pm
Maegan from Brooklyn says:
PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU CARE AT ALL ABOUT HAVING CHOICE IN YOUR (CHILD'S) EDUCATION!

I graduated from here in 2005, Lodico's first year, and it was depressing as hell. Thank GOD Bruckner spoke at my graduation because Lodico sure as hell was not my principal.

Murrow was founded on freedom for the students. If you wanted to ruin your life and not go to class, you had that choice. And if you wanted to take extra credits and graduate a year early, you could.

As hard as it was to do, you could change your schedule to come in an hour later or leave an hour earlier. Having to commute from really far away and having an after-school activity really far away from the school - let me tell you - it was a huge help.

If I wanted to do my homework from the night before in the library, I could. And if I wanted to use my free time to print in the darkroom, I could! And if I wanted to practice my routine on the balance beam, I could! All thanks to OPTAs and the system allowing me to make my high school experience a well-rounded and supportive one for my future.

Murrow's freedom allowed me to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I see my high school friends on a weekly basis and definitely talk to them every day. Being able to sit in the lobby with friends, play music and bond - I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

I honestly cannot imagine going to Murrow now and visiting; I think I would cry a whole lot.

It truly prepared me for college and showed me what it means to be self-motivated. Get yourself to class on time, fight the temptation to sit in the hallway all day, choose the classes that shape your future. You are the person you are, whether it was someone who cut class all the time (and many of my friends did) or someone who wanted the most out of their education (like myself and others) and put all the responsibility on you, which is the way I believe it should be.

It depresses me to hear what it has become because this is not what it was meant to be. I cannot imagine a Murrow without music filling the halls, kids drawing while laying on the floor, students rehearsing their theatre scenes with each other, or helping each other study.

"Lodico agreed that most of the suspensions at Murrow were not for serious offences."

IS THAT REALLY NECESSARY?!?!?!
Jan. 30, 2012, 2:58 pm
Parent from Park Slope says:
Mr. Lodico's "Iron Hand" is not working. Kids still cut all the time. The police are at the school regularly, and kids still hang out at the Park during school hours. If you write to the Principal he won't answer your letter. He's leaving soon (Good riddance!) but chances are his replacement will follow the same model. It is becoming a place where a few high achieving students are encouraged and everyone else is kicked to the curb. Perhaps they need to change the name too, since there is no journalism going on there anymore either. Rename it "Joe Clark Academy" and be done with it. Great job ruining a good school, Mr. Lodico.
May 22, 2012, 6:46 pm
samantha from PROSPECT PARK =) says:
im going to be a junior in EDWARD R MURROW. why would any parent on here BE OKAY WITH JUST LETTING THEIR KIDS DECIDE WETHER OR NOT THEY CAN CUT AND RUIN THEIR LIFE. mr Lodico wanst a iron hand a said above HE WAS ACTUALly nice and he cared ! freshman year i cut alot i was barely making it but they got me running OF COURSE 14-18 YEARS OLD THEY WANT TO CUT AND HANG OUT WITH FRIENDS -______- NO DUHH ! but believe me i learned the hard way when they told me when i become a junior i sitll be in SCS and having less credits =/ sucks BUT THAT WAS MY CHOICE SO ITS OK?? No Mr LODICO gave us 2 optas all he asked was to GO TO THE SUITE AND NOT ROAM THE HALLS -_- WOAHH SO SERIOUS cmonn
May 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Lydia from Park Slope says:
My daughter just graduated this spring from Murrow and though it is not perfect, it was, over all an excellent educational experience. Yes, there is a lot of freedom, less than there was but there still is. Most of what was great about Murrow is still there, minus some funding and hallway roaming. The demographics and class sizes from when the school first opened (and what the building was built for) are completely changed and with it, the approach to education and freedoms have had to evolve. It is no longer the had picked artsy crowd going there folks but *that* is what has made it even more special. My daughter has friends from all walks of life and educational abilities brought together in the intensely creative circles of music, drama and musical theater and dance. Everyone benefits from this sort of integration. Science and research along with language study have been top notch, and she has enjoyed track, yoga and dance. She is off to Yale, with a hefty scholarship, in the fall and we couldn't be happier. Just keep in mind get involved in your child's school, volunteer. Let your child know you think school is important by going to every parent teach meeting and showing them by your presence, as much as possible, that you value the school. Cutting and bad behavior is a lot less likely if your child is might run into you at school. Being a teen is all about taking chances and pushing boundaries. Often that includes bad behavior and grades coming down. It happens, but you are still the parent and need to help guide them in the right directions. Every time my daughter was late or went on a class trip we got the automated message that she was not in school and the seriousness of the situation. It had to be taken care of by a note and a trip to the office in question. My daughter was very involved in school and had no, ZERO exposure to drugs and there are so many students in the school that she had plenty of kids to choose from with which to be friends - there are no outsiders. I love the school and the teachers. It did not feel like a prison. Bad things can happen everywhere and I think they did a wonderful job. This school is unique in that it is willing to take kids from all levels, their picks from the screened programs as well as all the kids in their zone. In a group that large there are many opportunities to rise and to fall through the cracks. Help your child by teaching them how to advocate for themselves and fight for the classes they want. Help them start looking at colleges so they can keep their eye on the prize and want to succeed for themselves. Then their choice to cut or not to cut, to behave or not is done with that in mind.
July 19, 2012, 7:13 pm
Lory from bensonhurst says:
I have got to say, I'm a student at Murrow, and the standards have really changed
1) some of my teachers don't even pick on you when you raise your hand, but later on writes "lack of participation"
2) i wouldn't mind if this school has a school uniform because the girls dress inappropriately showing off their "top" and bragging about it (I'm not jealous, but that distracts the boys and so the boys get in trouble just because a girl showed off her chest area
3) the security guards aren't even useful - there were a couple of fights in Murrow and they just acted like they didn't care for a couple of minutes and then walks by to break up the fight slowly

This is just what i have experienced so far in Murrow high school. I have got to say, this school has gotten WORSE because of the teachers.
Aug. 28, 2012, 11:56 pm
Lory from bensonhurst says:
^^^ and principal (forgot to add that)
Aug. 28, 2012, 11:57 pm
teacher says:
Murrow has gone downhill the past few years. It is not the school it once was, and is led by an administration that does not have a clue- good luck to the students there. It's not getting better any time soon.
Oct. 2, 2012, 8:14 pm
Paul says:
I sense that in the near future Murrow will be another school victim. Soon there will be permanent metal detectors installed, more budget cuts, a large influx of unwanted "over-the-counter" students, and finally; the inevitable closure of the school in which the NYCDOE claims it's "low-performing". This is the reality of public education in New York City, and it slowly but surely is coming to Murrow... I wouldn't be surprised if the music and theater program gets cut off in the near future. I mean really, they already took the core of the school out; journalism.
Jan. 13, 2013, 6:21 pm
Amber from Flatbush says:
I go there now as a Junior and if you have Opta good luck trying to enjoy it..The 285 suite is Decent if your a sophomore - Senior and have untouchable grades, but man it really does feel like a prison, if you wanna go to the library, you gotta show your Id & schedule, like tf???? & Every band security and deans patrol the hallways of each floor... you cant even sit in the staircase, btw the staircases are hugeee with a lot of space. I could just go on with how ——ty this place is.
Nov. 15, 2014, 6:55 pm

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: