July 23, 2012 / Brooklyn news / Park Slope / Checkin’ in with...

Miss New York Mallory Hagan loves Prospect Park, does not ride a bike

Mallory Hagan sounds like the prototypical Park Slope resident: she hangs out in Prospect Park, dines at Thai restaurants on Fifth Avenue, and relies on the F train to get around. But the 23-year-old Alabama native also happens to be the newly crowned Miss New York — and a contender for the lofty title of Miss America.

After beating 25 other competitors to win the tiara and sash for the Empire State, Hagan checked in with Brooklyn Paper reporter Eli Rosenberg.

Eli Rosenberg: You may be Miss New York, but you’re really Miss Brooklyn to us. How did you wind up in the county of Kings (and pageant queens)?

Mallory Hagan: I moved here in October 2008, so it’s almost been four years. I’ve lived all over the borough — I’ve lived in Bed-Stuy, Williamsburg, Bensonhurst, and Sunset Park. Now I live about three or four blocks away from Prospect Park in Park Slope. It’s my little escape area. I love the diversity in Brooklyn, that you can be in a Hasidic neighborhood one day, a Russian one the next day, and an Latino one after that.

ER: Do your neighbors know that Miss New York lives next door?

MH: I don’t think so, I don’t think they do. I didn’t exactly shout it from the rooftops. People always think I’m kidding when I tell that, and I’m like, “Yeah.”

ER: How well do you represent Brooklyn — and are you qualified to do it on the national stage as Miss America?

MH: I’ve lived in more neighborhoods here than most people. I think Miss America is a bit misconstrued at times. It’s not about being the perfect girl; the main criteria is that she can walk into a room and talk to anybody. It’s about being comfortable with who you are and owning it. Brooklyn sort of prepares you for that. I am a true Brooklynite, no one can tell me differently!

ER: What are some Miss New York-approved hangouts in the Slope?

MH: If I’m enjoying Brooklyn it’s usually in Prospect Park. My favorite restaurant in all of New York is Song. I also like the Roots Cafe — the people who own it are from Alabama, where I’m from originally, and they sell sweet tea and they do live music.

ER: Are you the first Miss New York to bike to work?

MH: No I don’t bike. And I don’t do yoga. I take the F train from the 15th Street, Prospect Park. My parents have given me very little rules, but one of them that I will not ride a bicycle in New York!

Reach reporter Eli Rosenberg at erosenberg@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2531. And follow him at twitter.com/emrosenberg.

John from Flatbush says:
Cute. Good luck to her at Miss America!
July 23, 2012, 1:22 pm
Skellatosis from BK says:
To be Miss New York you should have to be a true New Yorker. Not a transplant who thinks its cool to live here.
July 23, 2012, 8:28 pm
IhateBloomburger from City Hall says:
Not a New York State born!
July 23, 2012, 8:43 pm
Ella from East New York says:
Transplants are true New Yorkers ... and immigrants are real Americans etc etc ...
July 25, 2012, 8:23 am
old time brooklyn from slope says:
i am sure she is very nice but a bit chuncky
July 26, 2012, 8:36 pm
Jennifer says:
@old time brooklyn You obviously know nothing about being healthy and you're the exact person we DON'T need on this earth.
Jan. 9, 2013, 5:55 pm
Bruce from Canarsie says:
To say this woman is a "real" Brooklynite is a stretch.
Don't remember one Alabaman in Brooklyn the 35 years I lived there.
Jan. 13, 2013, 12:36 am
Bob Rossi from Sheepshead bay says:
She's too good looking to be a Brooklyn native.
Jan. 13, 2013, 6:53 am

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!