It was a sad brushstroke of fate.
Pratt Institute’s classes have resumed after a four-alarm fire devastated its main campus building early Feb. 15, destroying student art work, collapsing a section of the roof, and causing water damage throughout the landmark structure.
The fire was an accident, fire marshals said, caused by electrical wiring on the top floor of the 126-year-old Willoughby Avenue building, located between Emerson Place and Hall Street.
The flames erupted at 2:15 am, blazing for two hours before the fire department brought it under control. There were no injuries.
“The six-story building’s roof and its sixth floor were gutted,” the institute said in a statement.
The fifth floor was also badly damaged by the flames, it said. Pratt relocated all classes and offices formerly inside the main building by Feb. 19.Reach reporter Jaime Lutz at email@example.com or by calling (718) 260-8310. Follow her on Twitter @jaime_lutz.
©2013 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynPaper.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynPaper.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.