Artist adorns Gowanus Canal with ‘roses’ made from Ralph Lauren shirts

Don’t miss our updates:

There is something blooming on the Gowanus Canal, and, no, it is not toxic algae.

A local artist installed a pair of fabric rose-bushes on the banks of the fetid waterway on Oct. 16, using discarded Ralph Lauren shirts to create a burst of color he said was inspired by the detritus left in the neighborhood by illegal dumpers.

“When you look at the industrial appliances and clothing and stuff littering the ground, if you squint it can look like a garden,” said Carlton Scott Sturgill, a Windsor Terrace textile artist who works out of a studio in Gowanus. “I wanted to turn detritus into actual flowers.”

The project was a collaboration between Sturgill, local arts organization Arts Gowanus, and the Department of Transportation, which funded the installation and allowed Sturgill to put the fabric flowers on Department property.

Sturgill has been working on the installation since about July, and spent the last few months combing thrift shops — and occasionally Ebay — for the once-high-end shirts in the colors he needed. He said each bush, on either side of the Union Street bridge, took about 20 shirts, which became the petals of 150 to 175 roses.

Reach reporter Noah Hurowitz at nhurowitz@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–4505. Follow him on Twitter @noahhurowitz
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
Stop!!!!! just Stop!!!!!! This whole article is stereotype of everything wrong with "new" Brooklyn.
This waterway is a putrid Superfund site and this poser is just trying to be an ironic hipster. Brooklyn Paper do a bit of research. What qualifies this gentrifier to cast an opinion on Brooklyn???????
Brooklyn Artist my ass. A bit of research please. Where was this great talent born and raised???????? I'll give you 3 guesses but you won't need the first two. He is "Brooklyn Based" which means exactly what you think it does. so called artist Carlton Scott Sturgill was born in OHIO!!!!!! yes OHIO!!! just another OHIO transplant that lives in Brooklyn but will never be "from" Brooklyn. Do us all a favor and head back to OHIO and practice your so called ART ART ART ART ART ART there.
Oct. 18, 2014, 6:32 pm
Scott from Park Slope says:
I drove past this on Union St. this morning. It looked quite eye-catching and was a good counterpoint to the murals on the creamery kitty-corner across the canal. My wife commented how pleasant a change it was from the last time we were there several years ago when the bridge was covered in graffiti that said, "Kill! Kill! Kill!"
Oct. 18, 2014, 8:19 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
wb swampy and scott
Oct. 19, 2014, 9:02 am
SwampYankee from runined Brooklyn says:
So, just to sum up. This is a SuperFund fetid swamp and this try hard Fauxhemian from Ohio tired to pass himself off as some sort of artist that could get ZERO TRACTION in his home state of OHIO so thought he would inflict his ART ART ART ART ART on us and we would except him as someone "FROM" Brooklyn instead of someone that is "BROOKLYN BASED". OHIO TRANSPLANT, if your ART ART ART ART is so good why could you not be recognized in your HOMESTATE of OHIO???? you want to be judged in Brooklyn? I was born in Brooklyn and I found you wanting. How did OHIO judge you???? Or didn't you even bother to ask?
Oct. 19, 2014, 6:16 pm
The Chooch from The Bohemian Magic Show says:
And for that matter, when the Chooch came to Brooklyn, he found it most wanting indeed. In fact it was a wreck. So the Chooch summarily gentrified the shyte out of the place, and that's why we have the New Brooklyn, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Smell the roses swampy.
Oct. 20, 2014, 11:47 am
Scott from Park Slope says:
SwampYankee, you sound exactly like diehipster. It's too bad you know less about actual Brooklyn than the warped simulacrum in your head, because the Gowanus area has come a long, long way in the last couple of decades. There are great businesses in the area and a lot of the old derelict lots and buildings have been reinvented as thriving places. Whole Foods's replacement of the forever-brownfield is one such big example, but of course you have edited that out of your own perception of the world. And have you ever set foot in the area or toured any of the artist studios there? You should, because the open studio tour is right around the corner; the work those people do is far and away superior to the stuff you see at MoMA. Yes, I know it's casting pearls before swine to suggest as much to such as you, but there it is.
Oct. 20, 2014, 12:45 pm
Ted from Park Slope says:
I like it. And it's great that this guy moved here from Ohio. I don't know of many artists FROM Brooklyn. In fact, most of the people I know who are FROM brooklyn are cleaning my bathroom, washin my car, servin me my $10 coffee or baggin my expensive groceries at Union Market.

I went to Union Market last night and bought a bunch of those really expensive halloween colored candy corns, then went around trying to offer them to some of the people who were in the park visiting from somewhere else in BK because they couldn't afford to live here. Then I just dumped them all out in the garbage, lit a $50 and threw all the coins in my pocket down a street drain before I headed back to my 3 bedroom that I bought for a cool mill a few years back when the previous owners had to sell because the naaaabe got too expensive for them.
Oct. 21, 2014, 1:20 pm
Johnny Runner from Prospect Heights says:
Ha, that's awesome Ted. I do that with cash sometimes too, just to make a point to those beggar guys along 7th ave.
Oct. 21, 2014, 1:43 pm

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: