Double perk-ing! Cop blocks Greenpoint bike lane for a pick-me-up

Don’t miss our updates:

He missed a spot.

A traffic cop parked his car in the Manhattan Avenue bike lane between Greenpoint Avenue and Kent Street at 11:50 am on Monday while he went into a store to get a coffee. The thirsty officer ignored not only the law that prohibits blocking traffic, but the mile-wide parking spot directly in front of him.

The scofflaw policeman hopped back into his patrol car and drove off when he caught sight of our photographer.

Of course, public servants are not the only drivers who illegally block bike lanes.

One road safety advocate recently argued that inconsiderate drivers get away with flagrant bike-way obstruction across New York, endangering cyclists and other motorists in the process.

“There is an epidemic of cars parking in bike lanes and not being ticketed in this city,” said road warrior Keegan Stephan of the group Right of Way last week, saying that safety around a new Boerum Hill bike lane will suffer unless cops keep it clear.

The police department did not respond to a request for comment.

Reach reporter Danielle Furfaro at dfurfaro@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2511. Follow her at twitter.com/DanielleFurfaro.
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Mike from Williamsburg says:
This is the kind of journalism I like to see.
Feb. 26, 2014, 5:44 pm
ty from pps says:
FINALLY.
Did you get a comment from the Community Affairs officer at the precinct office?
Feb. 26, 2014, 7:04 pm
Rob from Greenpoint says:
This is a city-wide epidemic. Thank you for covering this!
Feb. 26, 2014, 8:50 pm
Rob from Williamsburg says:
Thank you for reporting this.
Feb. 26, 2014, 10:55 pm
bkdude says:
they are tals buddies :)
Feb. 26, 2014, 11:23 pm
Rufus Leaking from BH says:
While he was waiting for change 6 bikers blew thru the light.
Feb. 27, 2014, 6:52 am
drw from Carroll Gardens says:
While this happens all the time (see also http://copsinbikelanes.tumblr.com/ and http://www.getoffmybikelane.com/), it's especially egregious when there's a spot and it's a traffic officer (dark cruisers are traffic, right?).
Feb. 27, 2014, 9:32 am
Citizen from Brooklyn says:
NYPD: do as we say, not as we do.
Feb. 27, 2014, 9:59 am
diehipster from Crushing Coltons says:
This cop is a hero! Yeah baby!

Awwwww the poor hipsters had their unused bike lane blocked. So is it a painted bike lane or art? You never know these days.
Feb. 27, 2014, 10:30 am
Billy from Greenpoint says:
94th precinct in Greenpoint is pretty bad about this (and enforcing traffic laws for drivers), nice to see some local media finally paying attention.
Feb. 27, 2014, 11:10 am
Billy from Greenpoint says:
@diehipster you can troll violence all you like, but cops that don't enforce traffic laws make it unsafe for you, too, whether you're walking down the street or driving. Maybe you too will get pinned by a taxi on the sidewalk and lose your legs, because everybody knows you can get away with speeding and running red lights in NY and after all it's just an accident and you shouldn't have been wearing headphones.
Feb. 27, 2014, 11:12 am
Ben Kintisch from Bed Stuy says:
Thank you for printing this story, Brooklyn Paper! Many of your readers are glad that you are covering safety issues.
When cops block bike lanes, they endanger cyclists and set a bad example.
Similarly, cops should not block crosswalks and endanger pedestrians.
Thank you again for taking seriously the safety of cyclists.
Feb. 27, 2014, 11:18 am
ken from Clinton Hill says:
BP I guess there is no major news of today......
Feb. 27, 2014, 11:20 am
Mike from Williamsburg says:
I don't think people come to the Brooklyn Paper for "major" news. We come for stuff like this.
Feb. 27, 2014, 11:56 am
Mike Bike from BK,NY says:
No big deal whatsoever.

That's why your bike has those things called "handlebars". They're not just for hanging purses and grocery bags, you can actually use them to go around obstacles!

Grow a backbone, willya?
Feb. 27, 2014, 12:10 pm
Mike Bike from BK, NY says:
"Hipsters" would imply some level of creativity and cool-factor, which these whiners completely lack.

Remember when people would move here and learn to adapt to OUR ways, and, over time, eventually became real New Yorkers? Now they arrive and cry foul whenever they're out of their comfort zone.

They want sterile streets and Fisher-Price bike lanes, Starbucks, 7-Elevens and mall stores to spend daddy's credit card in, just like back in their safe, suburban hometowns.
Feb. 27, 2014, 1:24 pm
ty from pps says:
Ya just gotta love the "locals" whining about how it's such a terrible thing to expect the police to conduct themselves properly... they prefer the NYPD to be corrupt, lazy, ineffective, counterproductive/harmful and 'above the law.'

Ignorance and Belligerence! The rallying cry of "real Brooklyn"!
Feb. 27, 2014, 3:18 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
"NYPD: do as we say, not as we do."
Isn't that also how your bike zealots tend do act like when it comes to following the traffic laws, so talk about the pot calling the kettle black?

"they are tals buddies :)"
You do know that I can get you for slander on that claim?
Feb. 27, 2014, 6:13 pm
Lol from NYC says:
Tal is not even from NYC, WGAF about what he thinks?

Anyway, nice to see the BP representing Brooklyn for a change. You know, the Brooklyn that DOESN'T drive. A double parked car reduces visibility, increasing the odds of a collision. The city needs to create more loading only zones and remove parking spaces. Especially in heavy retail areas.
Feb. 27, 2014, 7:44 pm
Bkdude says:
@tal, oh yeaaaaaah? i'll beat you up if you do.
Feb. 27, 2014, 11:27 pm
Cristina from Williamsburg says:
That looks like an NYPD Traffic car NOT a cop car. Traffic Agents ARE NOT cops. They just hand out summonses/tickets.
Feb. 28, 2014, 2:09 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
off with their heads. the audacity, da noive, the horror - it is not a cop car it is a dot aks meter maid mobile. some bran muffins a surely needed
March 1, 2014, 7:42 am
ty from pps says:
Old Time.... there is not such thing as a "dot aks meter maid mobile"

This may not be a cop car, but it IS an NYPD vehicle and an NYPD employee, specifically breaking the public safety laws this traffic agent *is actually* expected, empowered and authorized to enforce, namely double parking and blocking bicycle lanes.
March 1, 2014, 8:53 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Although seeing these people blocking the bike lane is bad, at least someone is actually using it compared to the fact that cyclists hardly tend to use the bike lane themselves. All they have been seen as nothing more than a boondoggle, and there were even complaints by those parking in them on the UWS recently on the NY Post is that they were barely used by cyclists as well. As for Bkude, you do that, and I will have you for assault as well.
March 1, 2014, 3:56 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- You're a friggin' stupid person. WOW! Let's accept, for a moment, your painfully stupid and ignorant premise... Even if there are no bicycles existed in the city, this is a DOUBLE-PARKED CAR. This has a detrimental effect on roadway safety... uggh... but I'm sure you'll have another stupid comeback.

Hey, Tal, when are you going to make good on your threats and sue us? I think we all want to have our day in court with you.
March 1, 2014, 4:37 pm
old time brooklyn from slope says:
oops ty the hall monitor is here = please don't cane me - dot aka meter maid mobile I meant and at the end of the day big fooking deal - sometimes you need to double park that is just a fact (and please do not start screeching nobody here ever has). I say off with their heads.
March 2, 2014, 9:12 am
bkdude64 says:
Tal, you got some sort of problem??? You little nobody. You lawyer wannabe
March 2, 2014, 9:35 am
bkdude64 says:
Tal, better watch it, or else you will be dealing with a real lawyer soon in Brooklyn, a long way from pleasantville. and you will be laughed out of court for being a Schmuck!
March 2, 2014, 9:40 am
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
You bike zealots are nothing but all bark and no bite, so I have nothing to fear from you guys. I could never understand why you demand that everyone else must follow every letter of the law when you guys hardly do that yourselves. For the record, I do follow the rules when I drive, so I do practice what I preach compared to your kind. The way you guys sound is like a parent telling their child not to smoke when you are smoking yourselves and even justifying by saying, "I meant it was bad for your health, not my health." Another thing is that I can't understand why some of you resort to personal attacks as if you act like little children, so you better leave the real issues to the adults to which you are not especially by even attacking the person rather than disagreeing with the idea.
March 2, 2014, 3:13 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- I don't double-park my car on main streets (I look for parking) and I never leave my bicycle in the middle of the road either.

So, what exactly am I "preaching" but not doing? Hmm? You silly little man.

Go help you mother with the dishes.
March 2, 2014, 8:12 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
I don't park within 10-15 feet of a fire hydrant and made sure I didn't as I was measuring that a few days ago when I parked in Manhattan for a play to see. Also, I always make sure where I park is legal and even read the signs. Another thing is that I don't even try to run a red light or stop sign. When I walk, I do wait for the signal rather than jaywalk. In other words, I practice what I preach and have the moral legitimacy to make my claims, so no double standards with me, and cut the personal attacks.
March 2, 2014, 8:47 pm
ty from pps says:
I will stop the personal attacks when you either go away or stop being stupid.
March 2, 2014, 9:43 pm
The Chooch from the Cheech of Chong says:
In the same way the cops aren't culturally prepared to deal with hipster drug dealing, they're also absent-minded about vehicular traffic that isn't automotive. The cops are native New Yorkers, they do a great job on the whole, but they're just not used to the new world. You gotta keep those bike lanes clear. Not every vehicle is a car. Not every drug deal takes place in the back of a bodega. It might happen during a gallery opening. I can see the movie now — "NYPD Beardo"
March 3, 2014, 1:59 pm
Tal Barzilai from Pleasantville, NY says:
Ty, thank you for proving to me that you are known to act like a child and even demand for censorship when nobody is doing that to you.
March 3, 2014, 4:09 pm
ty from pps says:
Tal -- Most 5 year olds are smarter than you.
March 3, 2014, 9:04 pm
ty from pps says:
(And don't threaten to sue me, I said *most*! I'm sure there are a couple 5 year old you can beat in the intellect game.)
March 3, 2014, 9:05 pm
Working class zero from South Brooklyn says:
Bike lanes and hipsters suck!
March 17, 2014, 1:10 pm
Dylnel from Greenpoint says:
How do we know for sure that the cop didn't park there while that spot was taken? Very possible that he double parked and the car in the spot moved a minute later. Could be perfect timing for this photographer to take the pic. I challenge this photographer to stand at any intersection and see how many bicyclist run red lights, don't use their bike lanes and ride against the flow of traffic. I love cycling just as much as the next person but I also feel that nyc and the boroughs are not bike friendly. The streets are not wide enough and the addition of bike lanes further narrows these roads which in turn compromises the safety of cyclist, cars and pedestrians.
Issue is there are more and more people cycling everyday and in turn more people complaining about automobiles parking in bike lanes. Most of these people are the same cyclist who don't obey bike laws possibly because they don't know these laws exist simply because they are rarely enforced. Please don't complain about a law enforcement official parking in your bike lane especially if you did not follow bike laws such as stopping at red lights before and after snapping this photo. If you would like I will take my camera out for a day and promise I will end the day with 100's of photos of people on bike not obeying the rules of the road. Cyclist are the biggest hypocrites out there now a days.
July 20, 2014, 4:21 pm

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: