Brooklynites kick off summer at FamilyFest at Atlantic Terminal Mall

Spread Love: Volunteers help paint a mural during FAMILYFEST on June 22.
Brooklyn Paper

Don’t miss our updates:

Brooklynites gathered for some communal paint by numbers at Atlantic Terminal Mall on June 22, where the shopping center invited locals to fill in a new mural by famed Brooklyn artist Patrick Dougher with vibrant colors.

“I purposely designed it to be simple so that it would be accessible, and you didn’t have to be a great painter to participate,” said Dougher, who crafted the outline of the mural, which read, “Spread love.” “We had all skill levels helping. We had everyone from children to 80-year-olds helping out.”
Dougher — a lifelong Kings County resident — said about 150 people helped color the mural, which took its inspirational message from another famous Brooklynite.

“Spread love, it’s the Brooklyn way,” he said. “Biggie Smalls made the saying famous in the song ‘Juicy,’ and it’s just a nice motto that we live by.”

The group painting session was the marquee attraction of FamilyFest, a free event that invited passersby to kick off the summer with athletic events and board games, in addition to the art.

Throughout the four-hour event, guests listened to music and visited booths set up by local businesses, including an educational chess station hosted by New York Chess & Games, and immersive virtual reality tours from Yokey Pokey VR.

Reach reporter Aidan Graham at agraham@schnepsmedia.com or by calling (718) 260–4577. Follow him at twitter.com/aidangraham95.
Posted 12:00 am, June 26, 2019

Don’t miss our updates:

Kanye says:
I should have walked by with my MAGA hat to see how ‘loving’ they all are!
June 26, 2:58 pm
Kanye says:
Tolerate my intolerance!!!!!! Waaaaah Waaaaaah Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!! Of course I fat and stupid enough to waste money on a bigot cap that's made in China.
June 26, 4:46 pm
Local from Here says:
I walk around wearing my MAGA hat all the time and I get nothing but compliments. Reality is completely different than what the fake news is peddling.
June 26, 4:50 pm
Local from Here says:
I waddle around wearing my MAGA hat all the time at Klan meetings and I get nothing but compliments. However, when I walk the streets of Brownsville I always end up with dried loogies on the back of my shirt. LOL, like I'd ever wear that stupid hat in Brownsville let alone go there.
June 26, 6:20 pm
Kanye says:
There are too many unhinged, mentally deranged Leftists to take chances with my safety by wearing the red hat. Maybe a #walkaway hat would be safer since the media has not yet turned that into a racist nazi symbol of hate. It’s coming though, along with dozens of new fake sexual assault allegations against Trump cause that’s all these losers have!
June 26, 7:33 pm
Local from Here says:
It’s really no big deal, Kanye. Unhinged leftists talk tough on the internet but they never even make eye contact when you look at them. I would love a walk away hat too.
June 26, 7:52 pm
Local actually from Here says:
⬆️Another example of how racist liberals actually are. They just don’t have the guts to use their own names or say it directly to people’s faces when spewing garbage though.⬆️
June 26, 8:11 pm
Local actually from Here says:
⬆️Another example of how racist republicans actually are. They just don’t have the guts to use their own names or say it directly to people’s faces when spewing garbage though.⬆️
June 26, 8:32 pm
Local actually from Here says:
I'm watching the debate right now!!!
June 26, 8:32 pm
Local actually from Here says:
June 26, 8:57 pm
Local actually from Here says:
June 26, 8:57 pm

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter: