Investigators have arrested the first of two men sought for the brutal April 2 slaying outside the Prospect Park Parade Ground.
Officials said that 16-year-old Edwin Rosado was taken into custody April 10 after he was identified as the man who allegedly beat 18-year-old Rolandalonzo Castro with a baseball bat during the frenzied 5:30 pm attack. The teen is currently facing charges of murder in the second degree.
Witnesses told police that Castro was walking with his girlfriend through the Parade Ground when he was attacked by gang members.
Castro, who was allegedly a member of the Dominicans Don’t Play gang, was fatally wounded after being chased out of the Parade Ground, beaten with a baseball bat and stabbed in the torso with a machete.
By press time, investigators were still looking for the thug who wielded the machete.
Anyone with information regarding that man’s whereabouts is urged to call the NYPD CrimeStoppers hotline at (800) 577-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.
Shot in Kensington
Three men were wounded last week following a shooting in Kensington.
Officials said that the victims were nearing the corner of East 16th Street and Caton Avenue at 11:50 pm April 7 when an unidentified gunman opened fire.
All three victims were rushed to Kings County Hospital where they were listed in stable condition. None of the injuries was considered life-threatening.
Cops are asking anyone with information regarding this incident to call the 70th Precinct at (718) 851-5511. All calls will be kept confidential.
Further tests will be needed to determine just how a 30-year-old Kensington man died last week.
A spokesperson from the city’s medical examiner’s office said Yuriy Tsilo’s cause of death was still unclear because they haven’t received the results of several toxicology tests, which can take a few weeks to finish.
Tsilo, 30, was found dead in his Dahill Road apartment near Clara Street at 8 am on April 6.
While he reportedly had a gash on his head, his death did not appear suspicious, cops at the scene said.
Two unholy rollers were praying for salvation behind bars last week after they were caught looting construction materials from an East Flatbush church undergoing a renovation.
Police said the unidentified suspects were apprehended after they were caught taking a steel I-beam out of St. Michael Spiritual Church at 5122 Clarendon Road on April 8.
When cops stopped them from loading the beam into a rental truck, they said that they were working for the construction crew renovating the house of worship.
Cops, however, didn’t need any heavenly intervention to learn the truth.
Both men were charged with grand larceny.
Cops have arrested the crazed thief who allegedly terrorized a young woman during an East Flatbush car-jacking.
Officials said that Larry Devore, 49, was charged with robbery in the first degree for the Jan. 24 blitzkrieg at the corner of Rutland Road and Rockaway Parkway.
The victimized woman told police that she was sitting in the passenger seat of her boyfriend’s idling 2006 Dodge Caravan at 5:50 am when Devore allegedly jumped in. The woman’s boyfriend was at a nearby store at the time.
Prosecutors alleged that Devore threw the vehicle in drive and sped off. He then punched his captive in the face, demanding she fork over everything she owned, police alleged.
After she handed him a dollar and her MetroCards, Devore allegedly pushed her out of the Caravan while the vehicle was still moving, police said.
A 36-year-old was arrested April 8 after he allegedly charged another man with a bottle during a bloody scrape.
Cops were told that Salmoran Santiago was arguing with the victim inside an apartment on Ocean Avenue between Avenues I and J just before 3 am when he allegedly struck his victim in the left side of the head with a bottle.
The victim, who suffered a deep cut to his head, called police, who charged Santiago with assault in the second degree and criminal possession of a weapon.
Two gun-toting thieves conducted an early-morning raid at a local McDonalds March 29, taking over $3,000 in receipts.
Police said that the suspects, who are still at large, entered the Utica Avenue eatery between Avenues H and I just before 4:30 am and pistol-whipped a manager before forcing him to open the safe.
Cops were still looking for the thugs as this paper went to press.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is urged to come forward.
Calls, which will be kept confidential, can be made to the 63rd Precinct at (718) 258-4411.
Wipe out graffiti
As the ongoing war against graffiti vandalism continues, cops are now offering a $500 reward to anyone with information that can lead them to graffiti vandals.
The hefty reward is part of the city’s new push to rid New York of graffiti, which is one of the leading quality of life complaints brought to police.
Officials said that cleaning up graffiti is essential to the plan, to show that the community is no longer going to tolerate marred and tagged-up walls and street corners.
According to police, there is a perception that if a community will tolerate graffiti, they will tolerate other criminal activities, such as drug dealing and prostitution.
Anyone with information about graffiti vandalism in their neighborhood is urged to contact either 311 or 911.