Quantcast

Gas explosion in Bedford-Stuyvesant leaves one woman injured

Firefighters on the scene of a small fire and gas explosion on Myrtle Avenue.
Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

A woman was injured Wednesday when a boiler caught fire and led to a small gas explosion in Bedford-Stuyvesant.

According to Fire Department officials, the blaze broke out just after 6 pm on Aug. 4, inside 687 Myrtle Avenue. Firefighters from Ladder Company 102 used one hose line to extinguish the fire, after which FDNY hazmat specialists investigated alongside reps from National Grid and Con Edison, who were there to check for gas throughout the four-story building.

Utilities were shut off and the incident was placed under control at about 7:05 pm.

National Grid and Con Edison worked to shut off the utilities in the building.Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

The woman, who was transported to Cornell Hospital with injuries, was found laying on the sidewalk outside the dwelling.

One neighbor speculated that the fire could have been caused by ongoing work in the area.

“They’ve been installing new gas pipes throughout the area for a few weeks now,” said Kathy Hendricks.

More from Around New York