Here’s how to apply for federal aid for Sandy–related damage

Floodwater rushes through DUMBO as Hurricane Sandy hits Brooklyn.
Associated Press / Bebeto Matthews

Brooklynites who sustained property damage in Hurricane Sandy can apply for funds from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. To request for federal aid, register at disasterassistance.gov or call (800) 621–3362. The agency asks that applicants have their address, insurance information, and social security number ready.

After applying for help, assessors will visit damaged properties and survey the conditions. The agency won’t give a timeline for how long Brooklynites must wait before receiving funds — it could range from a week to more than a year.

Mayor Bloomberg is also accepting donations to the Mayor’s Fund for New York, so residents may be able to apply for some of that money at a later time.

— Danielle Furfaro

More from Around New York