Prospect Park is ready to ring in 2023 – with the long-awaited return of their annual New Year’s Eve fireworks, which have been on pause since 2020.
For 40 years, thousands of Brooklynites have celebrated the arrival of a new year at a dazzling fireworks display in Brooklyn’s Backyard. But, for the last two years, the show has been suspended as a pandemic precaution.
But, at midnight on Dec. 31, fireworks will once again light up the sky at Grand Army Plaza, the Prospect Park Alliance and Brooklyn Borough President Antonio Reynoso announced last week.
“It’s not a Brooklyn New Year’s Eve without fireworks in Prospect Park,” Reynoso said in a statement. “What an honor it is to team up with Prospect Park Alliance to bring this beloved Brooklyn tradition back for another year, my first as president of the greatest borough in the world.”
The free, colorful display will be produced by Santore’s World Famous Fireworks. Past celebrations have featured free live music and hot drinks to ward off the chilly weather.
“The New Year’s Eve Fireworks at Grand Army Plaza are truly a boroughwide celebration, and so it is fitting to host them in Brooklyn’s Backyard, Prospect Park,” said James Snow, interim president of the Prospect Park Alliance. “We are thrilled to welcome revelers back for the first time in two years to come to the park to enjoy the gorgeous display, which would not be possible without the support of Borough President Antonio Reynoso, and we thank him.”
Festivities will kick off at 11 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 31, at Grand Army Plaza, and the final fireworks will be lit at 12:30 a.m. Admission is free, though Brooklynites are encouraged to RSVP in advance.