Police: Teens try to rob a taxi driver

60th Precinct

Coney Island—Brighton Beach—Seagate

Triple trouble

Cops arrested three teens for allegedly trying to rob a taxi driver on W. 37th Street on Feb. 15.

The three girls, a 15-year-old and two 16-year-olds, hailed a cab at Stillwell Avenue to take them to the corner of W. 37th Street and Mermaid Avenue at 9:40 am, according to cops.

When they arrived there, one of the girls allegedly demanded the driver hand over money and his cellphone, but he resisted and one of them allegedly punched him in the back of the head and neck, causing pain and swelling, before the trio fled, police said.

Police caught up with the teens at W. 36th Street and cuffed them, according to the authorities.

Oldster knock-out

A brute knocked out a senior on Mermaid Avenue on Feb. 17.

The 84-year-old victim told cops that the bruiser struck him in the face several times, causing him to bleed, suffer from pain, and lose consciousness, at W. 36th Street at 7:50 pm.


A thief robbed a travel agency on Brighton Beach Avenue on Feb. 14.

Police say the agency near Brighton Seventh Street was closed for the day at 7 pm, after which the bandit entered through the front door and bagged five credit cards, two debit cards, and $150, cops said.

There was no evidence of the sneak’s forcible entry, and the front door was locked at the time, according to the authorities.

Botched robbery

Cops arrested three people for allegedly robbing a Mermaid Avenue drugstore on Feb. 8.

The two men and a woman allegedly broke into the store between W. 23rd and W. 24th streets at 3 pm and stole cash and a flash drive, according to the authorities.

A witness flagged down police when he saw signs of forced entry at the rear door of the store, according to police.

Officers uncovered surveillance footage that showed the suspects at the store, and then arrested the three people, according to police.


A fraud scammed a man out of thousands of dollars on W. 15th Street on Feb. 7.

The victim posted an ad to rent his room on Craigslist, for which the hoaxer expressed interest in and sent him a check of $4,350, which he deposited at 9 am between Neptune and Mermaid avenues, according to the authorities.

The charlatan then backed out of the deal and asked for his money back, which the victim sent him online, cops said.

The check later bounced back because it was fraudulent, according to police.

Snooze thief

A man was robbed on the Q train that he took to Stillwell Avenue in the early hours of Feb. 16.

The victim took the train from Manhattan to the station near Surf Avenue at 1:30 am, and fell asleep due to being drunk, according to cops.

When he woke up, he noticed that someone had cut open his pocket and taken his wallet and phone, according to the authorities.

— Kevin Duggan