On paw-trol! Meet Martin, the 60th Precinct’s station-house cat

Brooklyn Paper

Don’t miss our updates:

You can call him “the fuzz.”

A cat named Martin is the newest member of the 60th Precinct. Officers found the tabby at their Coney Island station house, but instead of dropping him off at the nearest animal shelter, they took him in and convinced the precinct’s top cop to adopt the furball as their collective pet. Now Martin cuddles up to police in their down time, according to the precinct’s commanding officer.

“He cheers up the officers after their shifts. All I know is I’m an animal person and the cops approached me about keeping him,” said Deputy Inspector William Taylor. “But I fell in love with the little guy.”

Martin — named for Police Officer Martin DiCostanza, who advocated to kept him at the station — has free reign of the building, but his command center is Taylor’s office, where he regularly greets the top cop in the mornings, curled up in his office chair. Taylor foots the bill for food and treats, but officers had to get the mouser fixed, micro-chipped, and up-to-date on his shots — and deal with the litter box, Taylor said.

“I told them, ‘I have two cats at home and two dogs, and I don’t have a problem with it, but we gotta get a litter box and you have to clean out the littler box. I’ll even foot the expense the food, the water, the treats — but I’m not cleaning out the litter box,’ ” he said.

Felines are no strangers to police station houses. Manhattan’s 33rd Precinct announced the death of beloved tabby Popo to much fanfare last year. Some precinct’s have resident mousers to help with pest problems, but rodents are not a big issue in the 60th Precinct’s home base — and instead Martin has become a mascot, according to Taylor.

“He runs all over the place,” said Taylor. “Everyone just loves the little guy.”

Reach reporter Caroline Spivack at cspivack@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–2523. Follow her on Twitter @carolinespivack.
Updated 10:17 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Jim from Cobble Hill says:
Now the only thing I can think of is that scene in Super Troopers where they say Meow a lot.
Feb. 24, 2017, 2:28 pm
Ben from Brooklyn says:
Nothing better after a long day of bashing skulls, then soothing cuddle with a kitty.
Feb. 24, 2017, 3:13 pm
Samir Kabir from downtown says:
You would know, Ben.
Feb. 24, 2017, 4:43 pm
MJ from Bay Ridge says:
policing is a cat and mouse game
Feb. 24, 2017, 9:20 pm
Alfred Kennis from From the Netherlands says:
dear officer Martin,

I am delight of your decision to take little Martin in your office. It means to me you are a very good person an I like that very much.
I wish you and your police friends much happiness.

Take care and best wishes from the Netherlands.

Alfred

My email is akennis@worldonline.nl
March 1, 2017, 9 am
Ed Groenenberg from The Netherlands says:
Well, next thing to give him is a miniature police badge and make him an (un)official officer ;)
March 1, 2017, 9:15 am
Another Dutchie from The Netherlands says:
I totally agree with my fellow Dutchy Ed. It would be awsome if you guys fit him a miniature outfit... Keep up the good work!
March 3, 2017, 4:51 pm
Jason from Flatbush says:
I have a feline this Paw-lice Meowficer means business.
March 11, 2017, 11:46 am
Frank J. Grassi, TNR Caretaker from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn says:
Now you know WHY they are considered NY City's "Finest". Our cops, despite policing in one of the toughest cities in the world, have a heart, compassion and the guts to step up and take care of a defenseless kitty. Bravo to the 60 and their C.O. and the men and women of NYPD.
(Frank Grassi - former Pres. 68 Pct. Community Council and Citizens' Police Academy Alumni)
Remember: Spay or neuter feral cats to control un-needed euthanasia.
March 29, 2017, 3:30 pm
Nicole from UK says:
"free rein" not "free reign". As a journalist you should know better.
Sept. 24, 2017, 5:21 pm

Comments closed.

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: