Several Halsey Street residents rescued from burning building

Firefighters at the scene of an all hands fire at 632 Halsey Street.
Firefighters at the scene of an all-hands fire at 632 Halsey St. Sunday, Jan. 2.
Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

Several residents had to be rescued after a fire ripped through a Halsey Street home on Sunday afternoon.

Fire officials say the blaze broke out in the basement of 632 Halsey St. in Bedford-Stuyvesant just before 2 pm on Jan. 2. A total of seven residents were rescued by firefighters with Ladder Company 111 on Hancock Street, all of whom suffered smoke inhalation due to the heavy smoke pouring out of the three-story, wood-framed house.

One of seven victims rescued by firefighters receives medical attention at the scene.Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

The first arriving units were by heavy flames and residents on the building’s fire escape.

Smoke eaters operated two hose-lines to douse the inferno, while fellow firefighters worked to clear debris from the building.

The building was heavily damaged by the blaze.Photo by Lloyd Mitchell

The fire was placed under control just after 3 pm.