Legendary football coach Vince Lombardi’s memorial plaque may have been forgotten, but he’s not forgotten by anyone who cares about Brooklyn history. Here’s what you need to know about Lombardi:
• He grew up in a two-story house at 2542 E. 14th St. in Sheepshead Bay.
• As a teenager, Lombardi studied for the priesthood at a Catholic seminary before transferring to St. Francis Prep, then located in Williamsburg, so he could play football.
• PS 204 on 15th Avenue in Bensonhurst is officially named Vince Lombardi Elementary School, and the Bensonhurst portion of 16th Avenue was once dedicated by the city as “Vince Lombardi Boulevard.”
• The Super Bowl trophy was renamed for him after Lombardi coached the Green Bay Packers to five NFL championships and two Super Bowl victories.
• Lombardi’s signature phrase was, “Winning isn’t everything; it’s the only thing.”
— Laura Gottesdiener